× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem setting up AC1750 R6400 as a bridge to an AC 1750 R6400 primary/modem router

JamesSL
Initiate

Problem setting up AC1750 R6400 as a bridge to an AC 1750 R6400 primary/modem router

I just purchased two AC1750 R6400 routers with the intent of using one as the primary or modem router connected directly to my modem and the second as a bridge.  I configured the primary router and confirmed that I could wirelessly connect to its 5GHz channel and successfully access the internet via my laptop.  Next, I disconnected the ethernet connection of the primary router to the modem and connected the bridge router to the modem so it could be configured.  Following the directions in the user manual, I then proceeded to set up the second router by selecting the radio button to "Enable Bridge mode" at the ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings menu location.  I clicked the "setup bridge mode wireless settings" and selected 5GHz as the network freqency, populated the SSID field and password with the 5GHz SSID name and password from the primary router, and selected the radio button for the proper "Security Option" on the bridge router to match that of the primary.

I left the check boxes checked for both "Get IP Address Dynamically" and "Get DNS Server Address Dynamically" and hit "Apply."  After the bridge router updated, I got a message stating, "Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed," and at the same time, the status light for the internet connection on the bridge router changed from white to red and I lost capability to access the internet.

For troubleshooting, I've tried unplugging the power cord to both my cable modem and the bridge router for 5 minutes, but once powered back on, the internet status light is still red and there is no connectivity to the internet.

I'm now stuck.  I've followed the directions to the letter in the user manual on how to set up the secondary router as a bridge, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

If anyone could help me complete a functional setup of my bridge router, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Problem setting up AC1750 R6400 as a bridge to an AC 1750 R6400 primary/modem router

The bridge router did not need to be connected to the modem in order to be set up.  Anyway, it looks like you got far enough to convert it into a wireless bridge, so all you need to do now is reconnect the primary router to the modem.  The bridge router should, then, connect wirelessly to the primary router.  Connect a PC or laptop to any LAN Ethernet port on the wireless bridge.  You should have Internet access.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Problem setting up AC1750 R6400 as a bridge to an AC 1750 R6400 primary/modem router

The bridge router did not need to be connected to the modem in order to be set up.  Anyway, it looks like you got far enough to convert it into a wireless bridge, so all you need to do now is reconnect the primary router to the modem.  The bridge router should, then, connect wirelessly to the primary router.  Connect a PC or laptop to any LAN Ethernet port on the wireless bridge.  You should have Internet access.

Message 2 of 4
JamesSL
Initiate

Thank you, TheEther!

I got it working.  Here is what I did.  I performed a factory/default reset on the bridge router.  I then hooked it via LAN port directly to my laptop and left the WAN port open this time (not connected to modem).  Next, I again followed the user manual instructions to the letter as I documented in my original post.  When I hit "Apply," I still got the exact same message as what I got before...."Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP will be changed."  I hit the "OK" button in the message box to acknowledge that message, and the bridge router immediately went into rebooting.  At the conclusion of the reboot, it worked.  My laptop is connected to the bridge router via a LAN port and I have successfully have internet access.

After successful setup of the bridge router, the resulting LED status lights on the bridge router are now as follows:

Power, 5GHZ, LAN port 1 (in which my laptop is connected), WiFI On/Off, and WPS are all on and all are white in color.  All other LED status lights are off.

And when I connect my laptop via a LAN port to the primary/modem router and login to the router to check the "Applied Devices" window via the Netgear Genie GUI, I see the R6400 bridge router in the list of 5G devices so all is working as it is supposed to be.

Greatly appreciate the assistance!

Thanks,

James

Message 3 of 4
Steiko
Initiate

Hello, I did the same but it says that the Wireless is Off. I've reset it a lot of times, updated the firmware and nothing change. Any suggestion? Please

Thanks

Steiko

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7