× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220

Enes2243
Follower

R6220

Hi, When I download Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 to update my router I get message that disc image file is corrupted. What is wrong here?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R220

Be sure that your not trying to open the .img file in any program after extracting it from the .zip file. Use the routers web page to send the .img file to the router with in the routers web page using the FW update feature seen here under the Manual tab. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R220

As @FURRYe38 says, you don't open the file. You upload it during the manual update process. 

Here's the guide on how to do it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 3 of 4

Re: R6220

@Enes2243 wrote:

Hi, When I download Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 to update my router I get message that disc image file is corrupted. What is wrong here?

The firmware uses the same .img fie extension extension as a "disk image file". (That's a file that is an "image" of the files that you will see on a CD ROM.)

Some operating systems, especially Macs, try to be helpful when you click on those files. The PC assumes that you want to "burn" the file on to a CD. But this file isn't a disk image, your PC gets confused and complains about a "corrupt file". It probably isn't. (If it is your router will complain when you try using the fie.)

In this case the .img file is the firmware for your router. You really need to get the router to "load" that file into its memory.

You do that in the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the router.

You get there using this:

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then, you follow these instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The other answers tell you what to do, but they are thin on explanations. That's fine for people in the know, but I thought it  might be worth explaining what is happening, otherwise you could be none the wiser even though you have fixed your router.

The good news is that this is probably the safest and most reliable way to update your router.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7