× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6230 Internet disconnecting on 30 minute intervals

Robshi
Aspirant

R6230 Internet disconnecting on 30 minute intervals

I've been having this issue where my internet cuts out on 30 minute intervals for about 5-10 seconds. I'm using an ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 for my modem plugged into my AC1200 WiFi Router (R6230)  router. 

Sample of the router logs:

[Time synchronized with NTP server us.pool.ntp.org] Thursday, March 23,2023 11:49:40
[Internet connected] IP address: 69.253.146.159, Thursday, March 23,2023 11:49:31
[Time synchronized with NTP server us.pool.ntp.org] Thursday, March 23,2023 11:19:52
[Internet connected] IP address: 69.253.146.159, Thursday, March 23,2023 11:19:30

It doesn't happen every single 30 minutes every cycle but always at around the same minute interval . For instance it may happen 1:35 then 2:05 and then 3:05 and then 5:35. It may go a few hours between each occurence.

The modem logs don't show any of this behavior, and the half hour interval changes to a different one when I power cycle the router so I think it's the router with the issue.

I've tried a factory reset on my router this morning and it's still doing it. I have the latest firmware.

At this point I'm considering flashing an old firmware but I've never done that before, or just getting a new router.

Anything else I could/should try?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Robshi
Aspirant

Re: R6230 Internet disconnecting on 30 minute intervals

So I have an update. My buddy's solution to reserve my PC's IP seems to have worked.

I was playing an online game while my router logged the "internet connected" message and experienced no disruption to my connection to the game server.

I'll just go ahead and reserve all the IPs for the devices my household uses and call it a day.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

@Robshi wrote:

I've tried a factory reset on my router this morning and it's still doing it. I have the latest firmware.

What version number is that?

I ask because many people turn up here claiming "the latest" when they have no such thing. That's down to Netgear's wonky way of reporting firmware.

Which Internet service provider is this?

Have you asked it for advice?

The modem logs don't show any of this behavior, and the half hour interval changes to a different one when I power cycle the router so I think it's the router with the issue.

Logs usually show when the Internet vanishes due to something local.

Message 2 of 7
Robshi
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

It's version V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 according to my routerlogin.net page. I've run the "update firmware" button in there and it says I have the latest.

My ISP is Comcast. I've had them out on site and they replaced some splitters in my house with new ones and said my signal strength is very strong now. I also had a buddy look at my modem status page and he said my Signal-Noise-Ratio values look good.

I bought the modem this last December as it was the oldest of the two and I figured it might be the culprit.

Comcast told me that if I'm still having issues it's likely my hardware. And the fact that the timing of the blips changes when I power cycle the router makes me agree.

Message 3 of 7

@Robshi wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

It's version V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 according to my routerlogin.net page. I've run the "update firmware" button in there and it says I have the latest.

That's where the trouble can start. The check misses things.

The only place to get a reliable answer is here:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will also have software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist. In your case, the check is correct. But don't rely on it to stay that way.

Message 4 of 7
Robshi
Aspirant

Ok good to know. My buddy is having me try assigning a static local IP to my PC. Said it worked for another user he found.

Any other thoughts of something I could try to address my issue? 

Message 5 of 7

Cable modem experts around here may be able to help. Never trust what an ISP says. The ISP says "your hardware" but it may just be passing the buck.

My question is around the cause of these dropouts.

Timed disconnects aren't something that crops up here as a regular problem. So I would try some other diagnostics.

ISPs have a habit of resetting connections as they see fit. (Look up "lease time".) But that should show up in the router's logs.

I don't think it applies here, but some network devices suffer from "sleep mode" kicking in on Windows PCs. USB devices like to do that to save energy.

Message 6 of 7
Robshi
Aspirant

So I have an update. My buddy's solution to reserve my PC's IP seems to have worked.

I was playing an online game while my router logged the "internet connected" message and experienced no disruption to my connection to the game server.

I'll just go ahead and reserve all the IPs for the devices my household uses and call it a day.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7