× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6250 Intermittent WIFI Connection

CDataBHM
Aspirant

R6250 Intermittent WIFI Connection

greetings....connecting via cable with my laptop to the R6250 is fine.  But the wifi is going up/down constantly. It doesn't stay up for more than a second or so then goes out for a second or so and then back up.... probably is ~ 5 years old so I've gotten my money's worth but any thoughts otherwise??

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CDataBHM
Aspirant

Re: R6250 Intermittent WIFI Connection

Actually we can close this one.  So I compared with another device - and it stayed locked on the wifi and was not going up/down .....turns out it was a different wifi network.  there are 2 - the one with the problem was on "OurNetwork" while the other device was on "OurNetwork-5Ghz"..... so simply changed device 1 to use the other network connection and all is fine.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you running on it?

Have you checked the power supply on it? I wouldn't necessarily buy one but if you had one from a different device that matched voltages and amperage, you could see if that helps. This could cause the wifi issues and would be an easy way to troubleshoot?

Another thing people can always try is a reset of the device. Firmware can get corrupted from power surges or other issues and sometimes a hard reset or firmware reinstall can help resolve these issues. 

Here's your support site. There's different versions of the R6250 so make sure you select your version from the correct drop down box. It'll have firmware, manuals, and install guides. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6250.aspx

Message 2 of 6
CDataBHM
Aspirant

how does one know the firmware version?

given we've had the device ~5 yrs a power voltage/amp issue is perplexing......

does the reset wipe out the password too?

Message 3 of 6
CDataBHM
Aspirant

Actually we can close this one.  So I compared with another device - and it stayed locked on the wifi and was not going up/down .....turns out it was a different wifi network.  there are 2 - the one with the problem was on "OurNetwork" while the other device was on "OurNetwork-5Ghz"..... so simply changed device 1 to use the other network connection and all is fine.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

the R6250 is a dual band wireless router. This means it has a 2.4ghz band and a 5ghz band. If the 5g band is going up and down, this could still be an issue. 

Message 5 of 6
WGC1444
Aspirant

Your "Solution" didn't work for me, nor did I think it would. I found the solution on another thread that appears to have worked. That thread is closed, so I'm posting it here...

Re: Router Dropping Internet Connection
I was having the same problem. This seemed to fixed it.....
Go to routerlogin.net
Setup Wizard under the advanced tab and then had it automatically detect type of Internet connection. 
Seems to be fine now, I would be interested to hear if anyone could explain why that fixed it
Who'da though it would be so simple?
Running V1.0.4.36
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7