× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6330 Support?

djdave238
Guide

R6330 Support?

Is the R6330 still supported with security updates from Netgear?  I haven't seen any firmware releases in many months, and my product page says "Your R6330 with serial number [redacted] no longer has software support." Not sure if that means "Online Product Support" or if it means they've dropped the maintenance of this unit's firmware.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its not on the end of service list but most other devices from that series are. so I wouldn't be expecting much. 

https://www.netgear.com/about/eos/

Message 2 of 8
djdave238
Guide

Yeah, I noticed several R6300 models were already out... maybe I should just dump this thing then.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Is it working and meeting your needs? If so, no need to dump it. Half the security updates are a bit bunk and not usable for the vast most or they need access to the device to execute it anyway. 

If its not, then its time to upgrade anyway as its getting a little old/slow compared to the newer stuff. 

Message 4 of 8
djdave238
Guide

Hard to say.... I've had issues with multiple R6330's since I purchased 4 of them for various location. My mom's house (in a different county) is one of those locations, and she's very security-concerned (albeit not thoroughly informed, not being a techie). I use the R6330's OpenVPN server to get to her PC when it needs worked on, so it's important to both her and me that things are actually kept secure.

I actually sent one ("newer") nighthawk router back, because it only supported TLS 1.0 for the VPN connection. So, it seems to me that Netgear doesn't particularly care to keep up with standards... and the R6330's age and lack of recent updates concerns me.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If thats your biggest concern, you best bet would be to go with something that supports things like ddwrt/tomato.

they tend to get updated much quicker and support newer security standards. But then you're reliant on the community. 

And there isn't much AX support currently. 

Or look to the business grade equipment. Tends to get faster security updates and more stable releases. 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Or build your own router and use a standard router as an access point

Message 7 of 8

@djdave238 wrote:

I haven't seen any firmware releases in many months, ....

How did you check? The various on board systems are notoriously unreliable.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Last July isn't that bad:

R6330 Firmware Version 1.1.0.88 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7