× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6350 random disconnects in only one application

HojoCat
Tutor

R6350 random disconnects in only one application

My girlfriend and I use a program called Second Life. My ISP is Cox and they have always been stellar for performance. Recently we got an upgraded router and suddenly we are having problems.

I recently got a Netgear R6350 router. Since I set it up we both have been experiencing random disconnects from Second Life. Otherwise the performance is still stellar. No lag spikes, no significant packet loss, just random disconnects up to an hour after logging in.

Second life uses both UDP and TCP if that is important.

During router setup I used Netgear's Nighthawk app and let it use default settings

are there any special router settings needed by Cox that I should change?

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how I can fix it?

Message 1 of 6

Re: R6350 random disconnects in only one application

@HojoCat wrote:

I recently got a Netgear R6350 router. Since I set it up we both have been experiencing random disconnects from Second Life. Otherwise the performance is still stellar. No lag spikes, no significant packet loss, just random disconnects up to an hour after logging in.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Have you looked at the logs for clues?

During router setup I used Netgear's Nighthawk app and let it use default settings

are there any special router settings needed by Cox that I should change?

Have you asked Second Life for guidance on that?

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

also what are you running second life on? PC, phones, console

How do you have it connected to the router? Wifi (and if so, what band) wired? 

Message 3 of 6
HojoCat
Tutor

running SL on PC and laptop (both experience disconnects). All connections are ethernet.

We are looking at the router because this all started when we switched to this new router.

Message 4 of 6
HojoCat
Tutor

I've posted the same question on the Second Life forums and even my ISP forums but I haven't gotten any advice that worked yet.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7