× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 Failed Firmware Update-Corrupt

Simarti28
Aspirant

R6400 Failed Firmware Update-Corrupt

I have a R6400 AC1750 router. While attempting to update to the latest firmware version, the update failed. Now my routers internet light constantly flashes amber and the power light doesn't come on, the router is clearly powered on. Also, my internet works if plugged directly in to the modem. I have tried the power down procedure and I've tried the factory reset button, neither worked. I have also tried installing the firmware using tfpt,but can't get the .chk file unzipped. I tried using various .chk unzipping programs such as CHK-mate and Express Zip, but the programs do not recognize the firmware file which was downloaded directly from netgear.com. Can someone shine some light on this situation? Please help, thank you!
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Simarti28
Aspirant

Re: R6400 Failed Firmware Update-Corrupt

I contacted Netgear support to get a RMA # so I could get a warranty replacement. Before receiving my RMA #, the support agent had me troubleshoot several different ways in an attempt to communicate with the router. After about 1 hour on the phone I got the RMA and now have a warranty replacement in my possession. Just a FYI, the troubleshooting was free of charge and I only had to pay shipping cost for the replacement, $17 for advanced shipping method, this covers shipment to you and shipping of the defective unit back to them.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Simarti28,

There is no need for you to unzip the .chk file since that will be the firmware itself. Just make sure you have downloaded the correct firmware version for the specific router model. You may refer to the link below for the steps on how to perform TFTP.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply @DexterJB, I didn't see a link below in you response. Can you resend it please and I'll give it a try. 

Thanks again!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

@DexterJB, I forgot to ask.....when I'm updating the router manually do I connect the Ethernet cord from my PC to a LAN port or the WAN port on the router? Also, does my PC need to be connected to the Internet at that time?

Thanks,

Simon

Message 4 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

First of all what caused your router bricked? Did you get any error message? Was doing it on wireless connection? Or you did something stupid to the router B4 updating finished? In a situation like this, first thing you should do is to figure out what state router is in.Disconnect everything from router except one LAN connection to your PC, then see if you can access the router, if not run 'ipconfig'

command to see what gateway ip address is. ttfp needs precondition for the router, it does not work no matter what the router status is.

You trying to update again? Then your router is accessible?

Message 5 of 14
TheEther
Guru

@Simarti28 wrote:

@DexterJB, I forgot to ask.....when I'm updating the router manually do I connect the Ethernet cord from my PC to a LAN port or the WAN port on the router? Also, does my PC need to be connected to the Internet at that time?

Thanks,

Simon

You should disconnect the router from the everything except power.  Then connect a PC to one of the router's LAN ports.  If your PC fails to get an IP address, then the router is probably not booting up properly.  In this case, you will have to recover the router by installing new firmware using TFTP.

You can follow Netgear's instructions for using TFTP (link).  Follow the instructions carefully to statically assign an IP address on your PC.  Don't forget to revert this after you recover the router.

Windows has a built-in TFTP client, so you don't necessarily have to download the ones suggested in the article.  See here for details to enable it.

Message 6 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

I was updating wirelessly, now I know that this is not recommended, but when I went to update it said "ensure that you are connected to your router wirelessly or via Ethernet cord" so I figured wireless would be fine. If it's not recommended to update through wireless then they should change that message when you go to update. I did receive an error message with a sad face icon on a piece of paper. I don't recall the exact message. Ipconfig does not return an IP address nor can I ping the router. I'm not home now but will try tfpt later tonight or tomorrow and reply back. 

Message 7 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

Message 8 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

@TheEther Thank you for your reply, I am not able to get an IP address nor can I ping the router. Ipconfig doesn't return a response. I'll check you links later tonight or tomorrow and reply back. 

Message 9 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

@TheEther So I tried the firmware update again following the instructions exactly as stated. However, the power light never illuminates. The only light that is illuminated is the LAN 1 which is where my Ethernet cord is plugged in from my PC. I have tried this at least 8 times now and I receive the same message each time "Unable to get responses from server." I used the latest firmware file downloaded from Netgears website for my exact model. Enabled TFTP per your other link and have tried third party TFTP programs. I can not connect with this router in any way whatsoever. Thinking about getting a warranty replacement since I'm still within the 1-year period. @VE6CGX @DexterJB

Message 10 of 14
TheEther
Guru

It is critical to start the TFTP process at just the right time, which is shortly after applying power to the router.  There is only a short period when the bootloader is active and ready to accept new firmware.  This period is only a few seconds; once it expires the bootloader will proceed to load the firmware stored in the router.

A common tactic is to open a Command Prompt on the PC and enter ping -n 1000 192.168.1.1.  Apply power to the router and wait for the pings to succeed.  Then start the tftp transfer as soon as possible.

If this doesn't work, then the router may only be recoverable through the serial console.  Unfortunately, this requires an inexpensive but special cable and, frequently, disassembly of the router to access the serial port.  This is beyond the capabilities of most people.  Since you are within the warranty period, replacement is the better option.

Message 11 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

In your case being unable to ping the router not even once, we don't know the router CFE is presenting firmware load time windows. We can tell by looking at ttl time when ping is successful. So most unlikely tftp won't work. I just wonder some who says like tftp will save your router no matter what(like cure all magic, it is not) If CFE is buggered up it becomes VERY difficult to save the rouuter. Experienced, knowlegeable hands usually revive the router but can you do that? I hope your router is not in that deep hole.Again tftp can work only in certain conditions.

Message 12 of 14
VE6CGX
Master

Then starting RMA process is a good idea or if you want to learn about bricked router to increase knowledge about routers spending some time will be only benefitial to your. Here is my suggestion if you care to carry out. Disconnect every thing from router and power off. Leave it for 24 hours. This is to discharge any residual DC power inside the router. Now the router will be cold and dead. Then press and holding down the reset button power up the router >> when LED lights start blinking >> release reset button >> wait at least good 5 minutes. Now what is the indication of router LED lights? Is it booted up and ready or some light is blinking. If so which light? Rule of thumb is you never flash firmware using wireless for obvious reason. Something glitched while updating firmware causing this mess. I often log into router wirelessly to change something in router set up but never flash firmware using wireless connection. Wish you good luck!

Message 13 of 14
Simarti28
Aspirant

I contacted Netgear support to get a RMA # so I could get a warranty replacement. Before receiving my RMA #, the support agent had me troubleshoot several different ways in an attempt to communicate with the router. After about 1 hour on the phone I got the RMA and now have a warranty replacement in my possession. Just a FYI, the troubleshooting was free of charge and I only had to pay shipping cost for the replacement, $17 for advanced shipping method, this covers shipment to you and shipping of the defective unit back to them.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7