× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[R6400] Wired Works, Wireless drops out frequently during day

afterglow727
Aspirant

[R6400] Wired Works, Wireless drops out frequently during day

I've got an R6400 handling wired and wireless networking in my small apartment.

Always once a day, sometimes twice a day, all wireless devices will lose wireless internet connectivity, and I will need to restart my router to restore wireless networking. I've noticed that while my wireless will fail, my wired networking is still working perfectly. (which to me indicates that the general internet service and modem are fine).

Wired, I have 2 PCs.

Wireless, I have a phone, a tablet, a laptop, 2 Sonos speakers, an Apple HomePod mini (which *should* coordinate a dozen smart bulbs on Thread).

Router firmware: V1.0.4.128_10.0.104

What could be the cause of the issue, and how can I troubleshoot and remedy this?

Thanks!

Jake

Message 1 of 7

Re: [R6400] Wired Works, Wireless drops out frequently during day

@afterglow727 wrote:

I've got an R6400 handling wired and wireless networking in my small apartment.

Router firmware: V1.0.4.128_10.0.104

That firmware is for the R6400 V2.

@afterglow727 wrote:

Always once a day, sometimes twice a day, all wireless devices will lose wireless internet connectivity, and I will need to restart my router to restore wireless networking.

What symptoms do you see? Do the WiFi router's LEDs go off?

The first thing to try is a factory reset followed by a fresh setup.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

Message 2 of 7
afterglow727
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

That firmware is for the R6400 V2.

Ah yes, that is correct. I have an R6400v2, not an R6400.

@michaelkenward wrote:

What symptoms do you see? Do the WiFi router's LEDs go off?

The first thing to try is a factory reset followed by a fresh setup.

Symptom-wise, my devices still maintain their connection to the wireless network when the trouble begins, but they'll cease connecting through to the internet (and will complain "[WiFi Network] doesn't appear to be connected to the internet, keep trying?"). If memory serves, the LEDs don't indicate there is a problem. I will double check this.

I'll do a factory reset and setup, note the LEDs when all is working, and compare to the LEDs when it fails. (And if it doesn't fail, then case closed!).

Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
afterglow727
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay - I've given the router a few days to see how it behaves.

I performed the factory reset, made sure it had the latest firmware, and used it as-is with no other changes.

I noticed the same behavior: after some amount of time, the wireless network would fail (no connectivity, or sometimes minimal activity with significant packet loss) all while the wired network worked at full capacity.

The LEDs showed no change between a fully functional state and a failing wireless state.

Restarting the router, as before, served as a temporary fix until the wireless failed again later.

Message 4 of 7
afterglow727
Aspirant

Did anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

I am still experiencing consistent drop outs of the wireless network.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
Frustrated-A-F
Aspirant

Same here. Exact same issue. Also have a R6400v2. Also have router firmware: V1.0.4.128_10.0.104. Connecting via wired works fine. Wireless is the one that goes down. I suspect firmware. So frustrated that I'm darn near switching to anyone else other than Netgear

Message 6 of 7

@Frustrated-A-F wrote:

I suspect firmware.

Did this start after an update?

You can test your theory by rolling back to an earlier version of the firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7