× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 v1 / AC1750 - Router crashes / reboots with multiple wifi connections

jjones7791
Tutor

R6400 v1 / AC1750 - Router crashes / reboots with multiple wifi connections

Issue with router crashing / rebooting when I have multiple wifi connections propagate, and occasionally when I plug in a standard ethernet line.  Currently running dd-wrt version 36527 and have tried upgrading / downgrading dd-wrt and the problem persists.  I've been attempting to put the router into recovery mode to see if the standard firmware will solve the problem, but I cannot for the life of me get it to take the old firmware via tftp.  I've tried just powering on and attempting to push the firmware while I have the amber power led and tried using the reset button as well.  I've followed several various tutorials regarding this process and I just can't get it to work.

Now before anyone goes to far, being transparent, I used this router for probably close to two years as a secondary AP on my network running 8 cameras and around 30 wifi devices.  While I was doing this I had the router in my attic....in West Texas, soooo I'm at the point of believing the hardware is simply wasted due to the abuse I put it through by leaving it in aforementioned attic.  Never the less looking for opinions / options as the router functions fine no issues at all, until multiple wifi connections.  I would believe if the hardware was failing it simply wouldn't work at all, but I've not had issues with failing router hardware to understand what types of issues it might present while doing this.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6400 v1 / AC1750 - Router crashes / reboots with multiple wifi connections

You can try nmrpflash to recover it.
I've had luck with that before.
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'd want to check on the dd-wrt forum's on how best to get back to the stock firmware if that's what you're attempting. Otherwise from the sounds of it you're running ddwrt and they'd be the experts on their firmware/issues. 

Message 2 of 7
jjones7791
Tutor

Thanks, appreciate the response.  I have consulted with the instructions they list, and they are basically the same as what I found on this forum.  In fact some of their links point to this forum directly.  Specifically when I hold down the reset when booting the router, it never seems to go into recovery mode, which I believe it should do regardless of what firmware is running on it.  I'm going to try this as well with the WPS button to see if that causes any change, but not hopeful it will.

Really what I'm getting at here more than looking for instructions to resolve is more has anyone ran into issues with this model with regards to the radios causing this sort of behaviour due to being located in a less than desireable environment.  I have no doubt that didn't help, but I did monitor the temps on a regular basis, kept a fan pointed at the unit at all times, but still this seems to be the likely culprit.  I had a dd-wrt build on this router for several years and it ran perfect and only in the last few weeks did these symptoms develop, so it almost has to be a hardware issue.  But I'm an optimist when it comes to hardware and I have a hard time chucking something to the garbage if there's even a small chance it's still good.  So this is more my own psychological issue more than anything likely.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can try nmrpflash to recover it.
I've had luck with that before.
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash
Message 4 of 7
jjones7791
Tutor

Thanks you, this solved the issue!  Worked like a charm once I timed it right with the router reboot.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it worked!

Message 6 of 7
NickSingh
Aspirant

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors