× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Half the speed on wireless wifi

JCXeeee
Aspirant

R6400v2 Half the speed on wireless wifi

I recently upgraded Xfinity's 175mbps to 600mbps (I haven't done any speed tests before this, so I don't know if it was normal before). And I don't get the speed it should be on the wireless WiFi of the R6400v2 router (about 300mbps at 5ghz), but I get about 650mbps when I connect to the router with a cable. I've tried changing the channel, restoring the factory (firmware 1.0.4.126) but no change. I would like to know if this is normal and if not how can I fix it?

Thank you 😄

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

There isn't a fix for its. Its more of an expectation. Wireless isn't nearly as fast as wired (especially on wireless AC) and the R6400 is a base model gigabit device. hitting 300-350mbps over 5ghz is about what you can expect from it. You can read a tested review from the r6400 so you have some expectations for it. Keep in mind, in the test, its a controlled environment so it'll have a little faster speeds because there isn't interference and everything is optimized in SNB's testing. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There isn't a fix for its. Its more of an expectation. Wireless isn't nearly as fast as wired (especially on wireless AC) and the R6400 is a base model gigabit device. hitting 300-350mbps over 5ghz is about what you can expect from it. You can read a tested review from the r6400 so you have some expectations for it. Keep in mind, in the test, its a controlled environment so it'll have a little faster speeds because there isn't interference and everything is optimized in SNB's testing. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

Message 2 of 5
JCXeeee
Aspirant

I appreciate you answering. But can a wifi 6 router run at full 600mps on wifi? If so, do you have any suggestions for a router below 200? Grateful!

Message 3 of 5

@JCXeeee wrote:

But can a wifi 6 router run at full 600mps on wifi?

Do you have any Wifi 6 clients?

Your router can spit out wifi at a gazillion miles and hour, but if your wifi clients aren't up to it they will travel like bicyles.

As well as the review that @plemans linked to, this might also be worth reading:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 4 of 5
janetwilson
Tutor

There isn't always a restore for its. Its extra of an expectation. Wireless isn't always almost as rapid as wired (in particular on wi-fi AC) and the R6400 is a base version gigabit device. hitting 300-350mbps over 5ghz is ready what you may anticipate from it. You can study a examined assessment from the r6400 so that you have a few expectancies for it. Keep in mind, withinside the test, its a managed surroundings so it's going to have a touch quicker speeds due to the fact there isn't always interference and the whole thing is optimized in SNB's testing.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7