× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 router - app won't update firmware

ggilson
Tutor

R6400v2 router - app won't update firmware

The nighthawk app repeatedly gives me an error message when I try to update the firmware.

The "download" for the firmware on the website gives me a document that my computer doesn't trust, and an html link that sends me back to the same download link that gives me the same zip file...

Trying to use the link to login into my router leads me to a page that won't let me log in, then sends me in circles in the same way as above, back to the same page.

It's like inception for routers.

My firmware version is V.1.0.4.106 which is probably a few updates ago, but I think every time I try to update this is what happens, and I give up.  I don't have time for this--who does?

My app is up to date.  I've tried rebooting the router and trying again and that doesn't work either.  Maybe a hammer?

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

I'd recommend upgrading over a hardwired connection using a pc/laptop. 

Tends to work the best be the most stable. 

when you download the file, it'll be in a zip file that you then extract. 

After extracted, you follow the manual update process. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 13
ggilson
Tutor

As I said in my post, I tried the router login route--I can't seem to login and when I follow the prompts for if you can't login, it sends me in a recursive loop back to the beginning.

The steps don't work.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

have you tried other pc's/browsers?

Or even a simple factory reset?

Message 4 of 13
ggilson
Tutor

I guess I'll try that.  It shouldn't be this hard.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Message 5 of 13

@ggilson wrote:

The "download" for the firmware on the website gives me a document that my computer doesn't trust, and an html link that sends me back to the same download link that gives me the same zip file...

What does that mean? In what way "does not trust"?

If you get the firmware from the Netgear site, it comes in a zip file with the firmware and release notes.

My firmware version is V.1.0.4.106 which is probably a few updates ago, but I think every time I try to update this is what happens, and I give up. 

There have been three since then:

R6400v2 Firmware Version 1.0.4.122 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 13
ggilson
Tutor

Screenshot of the zip file.JPGScreenshot when I try to open chk file.pngScreenshot of clicking the html file.png

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

You don't "open" the file. Once its extracted, you follow the manual update process and upload it to the router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 8 of 13
ggilson
Tutor

You know, I'm a person who uses a computer, not an engineer.  First of all, the app should work.  Second of all this should not be so hard.  

When I got to routerlogin.net I get an error message.

Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

The process is fairly simple to walk through. Thats why theres the steps. It doesn't take an engineer. 

And I'd agree, the app should work. Sadly, we see alot of the time where it doesn't. But we're not netgear. We're the public support forum where members of the public help out. So there's nothing we can do about the app. 

But we can give you ways of getting it updated. The process I outlined is the safest, stablest way I can give you. 

Message 10 of 13
ggilson
Tutor

I appreciate your time.  I will try to follow the steps.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Hope it works for you!

Message 12 of 13

@ggilson wrote:

You know, I'm a person who uses a computer, not an engineer.  First of all, the app should work.  Second of all this should not be so hard.  

You are right there. Other people also have a hard time with these things. That's why Netgear tries to make things a bit easier.

Newer routers have the option to update themselves "under cover". They sneak out and do it when you are not looking. It wasn't there in the original R6400v2, but maybe they added it in new firmware.

This isn't a perfect process, and those with an "engineering" turn of mind turn it off. When you do fix your device, you could see if it also has that option.

When I got to routerlogin.net I get an error message.

As others suggest, tell us what those errors are and someone may be able to help. It isn't often that a brand new problem crops up here.

Your very act of working out how to use this place – again not as easy as it could be – shows that you are well on the road to recovery.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7