× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-use my WNR2020 in a different mode

SunflowerGUY
Aspirant

Re-use my WNR2020 in a different mode

Hi,

I have a Netgear WNR2020 WiFi router, connected to a Cable modem.

Now I am moving house and going to an apartment, and my new setup will be a combined ADSL+/WiFi Modem supplied by the Telco.

I have 2 desktop PC's. The first one will be next to the new modem and have a wired connection.

The other desktop PC will be in another room, and I can't run cables for a wired connection. Rather than purchase a new wireless network card/device for this desktop and discard the WNR202, I was wondering if I could somehow re-configure my WNR2020 to join the new ADSL WiFi router.

My idea is to have the WNR202 next to the 2nd desktop PC, and have wired connection into it.

But the question is... Is the Wireless Repeating Function of the WNR2020 the mode I want to be able to achieve this?

Thanks

(NOTE: WNR202 Router Firmware = VersionV1.1.0.32_1.0.1)

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wnr2020.aspx

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Re-use my WNR2020 in a different mode

The type of setup you describe is a Wireless-Client mode for the WNR2020, I doubt it supports that mode but it might be worth checking. If it doesn’t then you could see if there is third party firmware e.g. DD-WRT available for that model, this may provide the function you are after.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The type of setup you describe is a Wireless-Client mode for the WNR2020, I doubt it supports that mode but it might be worth checking. If it doesn’t then you could see if there is third party firmware e.g. DD-WRT available for that model, this may provide the function you are after.

Message 2 of 3
SunflowerGUY
Aspirant

Your're right Andy.

My device doesn't support this mode.

Oh well... off to the Charity Shop.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo