× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router can be discovered on network

squirtle
Follower

Router can be discovered on network

Hello.

I was setting up my readyshare drive so I could use it as a file backup and noticed my router could be discovered as a network location by windows with read and copy access to everything on it.  Ideally I would want to keep it from being seen by anything that joins the network just in case someone is able to guess a passord.  Is this a setting I can change on the router?  I know I can turn off network discovery on my windows machine, but that doesn't prevent other people from discovering it.  A couple things you should know.  I was logged into my router's gui when I discovered this.  Don't know if that changed anything.  I have the readyshare drive enabled with admin password protection.  I have password protection on all the folders in the drive except one.  Router is an R6400 and firmware is V1.0.1.74_1.0.48  Thanks for any advice or help with this.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router can be discovered on network

Something to contact MS support about since Windows Discovery is there product. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7