× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router randomly disconnects after purchase of new Computer - AC1200 Smart WiFi Router (R6230)

drewyorker
Aspirant

Router randomly disconnects after purchase of new Computer - AC1200 Smart WiFi Router (R6230)

I have had the same Netgear router for years that has always been rock solid.  Recently I bought a new computer and ever since I started using this computer I have experienced issues where the internet will go out.  Unplugging my router, plugging it back in, and waiting about 5 minutes fixes it temporarily until it goes out again after a seemingly random amount of time, it can be 10 minutes or 2 hours.  To be clear: The internet goes out for all the internet devices in my home connected to the router, not just the new computer.  Also - this only happens when I use specifically my new computer - as though there is some bad reaction the router is having to the new computer.  If I go days without using the computer (which I have) there will be no issue but once I start using the new computer it will happen again. 

This router is advertised to be able to withstand 20 devices and I can confirm through routerlogin.net that it is only recognizing 9.

Firmware it up to date - confirmed through routerlogin.net.   It does no find any newer firmware.   Firmware is: V1.1.0.64_1.0.1

Motherboard on new computer has all updated drivers.  This is my computer build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/drewyorker/saved/qB7GkL

I am at a loss for why this is happening does anyone have any ideas.   Thank you.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Router randomly disconnects after purchase of new Computer - AC1200 Smart WiFi Router (R6230)

@drewyorker wrote:

I have had the same Netgear router for years that has always been rock solid.  Recently I bought a new computer and ever since I started using this computer I have experienced issues where the internet will go out. 

What does "go out" mean? What are the symptoms?

Windows PC? Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

Firmware it up to date - confirmed through routerlogin.net.   It does no find any newer firmware.   Firmware is: V1.1.0.64_1.0.1

Just because it can't find new firmware does not mean that the firmware is up to  date. 

You are about 10 versions, and five years, behind the latest:

R6230 Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Message 2 of 4
drewyorker
Aspirant

Re: Router randomly disconnects after purchase of new Computer - AC1200 Smart WiFi Router (R6230)

@michaelkenward wrote:

@drewyorker wrote:

I have had the same Netgear router for years that has always been rock solid.  Recently I bought a new computer and ever since I started using this computer I have experienced issues where the internet will go out. 

What does "go out" mean? What are the symptoms?

Thank you so much for your response.

"Go out" means it is as though someone pulled the power plug out of the router.  I will be browsing the internet as usual (on new computer) and then all of a sudden a website will not load, and I quickly learn no website will load and my computer no longer acknowledges it is connected to internet.   I check a second computer, same deal and then I check every device in my home and none of them have internet.  That's what I mean by "go out"

Windows PC? Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

Yes Windows.   Thank you for the advice but I followed your steps and can see that I have been set to private network already the whole time. 

Just because it can't find new firmware does not mean that the firmware is up to  date. 

You are about 10 versions, and five years, behind the latest:

R6230 Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Thank so much.  I updated my firmware earlier and wanted to use my computer a bit before responding here.  I enjoyed almost a full day of no interruption and I thought it was fixed but literally as I was typing this response it happened again. 

Here is an added little piece of information that makes this whole thing a bit more strange:

I normally keep my router velcro'd against the back of my television where it sits in the vertical position.  Earlier when I updated the firmware I had removed it to check the model number and instead of placing it back I just placed it down on a table top, not for any particular reason.  Now, right before coming here to respond I placed it back in its place behind the TV, where it sits vertically.  It wasn't 15 minutes later and the issue was experienced again.   And now here is the stranger part:  Normally unplugging the router and plugging it back in is what fixes it, but this time I didn't do that, I placed it back down flat on the table top and internet came back.

Weird right?  Does this sound anything like anything you have ever heard of before?  

Message 3 of 4
drewyorker
Aspirant

@michaelkenward  - Thank you for your help I just wanted to add onto my response from yesterday that my theory that the way my router is placed on the table vs behind the tv seems to have nothing to do with it as I am experiencing this issue a lot this morning.   Was probably a silly theory. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7