× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Routers not recognizing DNS changes

mattsch
Guide

Routers not recognizing DNS changes

I am a web developer with matching R6260 routers at both my home and office.  Both connected to the same ISP.

In the past week I have made 3 changes to my client websites - 2 nameservers changes, and one A record change - and the changes have been very slow to be recognized.

One nameservers change that I applied on Friday is still not being recognized by either of my routers on Monday morning.  I can confirm that the change has propagated virtually everywhere, including my local ISP via NSLOOKUP.  I get the new site on my cellphone using mobile data.  But when connected to my Netgear routers, in both locations, I still see the old site.

The change that I made to a different site on Thursday was not available to my home computer until Sunday, and started resolving at my office sometime over the weekend (it was finally OK on Monday morning.)

I understand that TTL values come into play.  But when my local ISP has had the proper updated information for 24+ hours, how long should I expect my 192.168.1.1 to continue to route to the old value?

What is most concerning is that this is happening with both routers.  I've tried rebooting and applied a firmware upgrade, but the problem persists.  ipconfig /flushdns does not make any difference.

I've had these routers for some time and have never noticed an issue like this until this past week.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Will it clear it up? Unknown but its worth a shot. 

Its pretty easy to switch it back if it doesn't. 

Again, if you have ipv6 enabled, check that as well. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

You can also make a backup if you think it might corrupt something. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The router doesn't save the dns info. Each request it gets, it uses whatever you've set for your DNS server to get the proper ip address info. 

You could try changing the router's dns server as maybe your ISP doesn't have it fully done. 

Try a different DNS Server. Here's a few for ipv4. Also remember to change the ipv6 dns server if ipv6 is enabled
CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
GoogleDNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 2 of 9
mattsch
Guide

Thank you for the reply.

I'm reaching out to a friend who is on the same ISP, but obviously not using my routers, to see what result he gets.

Here is what I get on an NSLOOKUP, querying for the domain by itself (192.168.1.1), my ISP's DNS, and 8.8.8.8.  The old IP of the website begins with 216, and the new/correct IP begins with 199.

C:\Users\matt>nslookup
Default Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

> websiteinquestion.com
Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: websiteinquestion.com
Address: 216.xxx.xxx.xxx

> websiteinquestion.com myispdns.net
Server: myispdns.net
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Address: 199.xxx.xxx.xxx

> websiteinquestion.com 8.8.8.8
Server: [8.8.8.8]
Address: 8.8.8.8

Address: 199.xxx.xxx.xxx

>

Is it possible that while my ISP is receiving the correct IP, it isn't providing it to me?

Message 3 of 9
mattsch
Guide

Just heard back from my friend who has the same IP.  He got the new website.  So it appears as though the ISP is properly sending incoming traffic to the right place.

How might I get my local router(s) at 192.168.1.1 to send me to the right place?

I guess I can just wait another day or two, but especially since I'm the one administering the DNS changes it would be nice to be able to verify propagation locally.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you using? 

Did you try changing the dns? Try changing it and then changing it back. 

and check your ipv6 settings as well

Message 5 of 9
mattsch
Guide

Thank you again.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my router settings.  Is the box I've drawn for DNS Address what you're referring to?  Right now it's set to "Get Automatically from ISP".

If I set Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, that will clear this up?  I want to double-check before potentially making the wrong move.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Will it clear it up? Unknown but its worth a shot. 

Its pretty easy to switch it back if it doesn't. 

Again, if you have ipv6 enabled, check that as well. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

You can also make a backup if you think it might corrupt something. 

Message 7 of 9
mattsch
Guide

Thank you for helping me through this!

I changed those values to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, closed and reopened my browser, and now I get the new site.  This is from my office location.  I'll do the same at home tonight.

I've been using Netgear routers for at least 20 years, and creating websites and making DNS changes for over 10.  This is the first time I've ever needed to modify this setting in order to see the changes on my own workstation.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Could just be something with how your ISP is managing dns. 

Unsure but if it worked off the google dns. it points a little bit at them since they're handling the stock setup. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7