× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I be getting faster speeds on my R6700v3?

atapio
Tutor

Should I be getting faster speeds on my R6700v3?

Model: R6700v3

Firmware: V1.0.4.84_10.0.58

Default settings

I have Cox Gigablast internet and when I plug the modem directly into my computer, I typically get around 940mbps/35mbps speeds.  When I use the router, my download speed is generally between 400-500mbps and upload is still the same 35mbps on the 5Ghz network.  The computer is an iMac from 2017.

Should I be getting a download speed closer to the wired connection?  If so, anything I can try to improve it?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Should I be getting faster speeds on my R6700v3?

If those are the speeds you're getting over wireless, you've pretty much maxed out that router. Wireless speeds aren't going to be as fast as wired.

The R6400 is pretty similar in wireless performance as the R6700v3 that you have. here's a review from smallnetbuilder that does a fantastic job of testing and reviewing routers. the testing used is in an anechoic chamber to have the optimal wireless setup. So its basically the best signal/speed you can expect.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

they're getting a max speed of around that 450-500mbps that you're experiencing.  I'd say in terms of wireless, you're running fairly optimal. 

Is there an issue you're having or just curious about how your device is performing. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
atapio
Tutor

Oops, I just realized this should've been posted in the Nighthawk section.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

If those are the speeds you're getting over wireless, you've pretty much maxed out that router. Wireless speeds aren't going to be as fast as wired.

The R6400 is pretty similar in wireless performance as the R6700v3 that you have. here's a review from smallnetbuilder that does a fantastic job of testing and reviewing routers. the testing used is in an anechoic chamber to have the optimal wireless setup. So its basically the best signal/speed you can expect.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

they're getting a max speed of around that 450-500mbps that you're experiencing.  I'd say in terms of wireless, you're running fairly optimal. 

Is there an issue you're having or just curious about how your device is performing. 

Message 3 of 5
atapio
Tutor

I haven't had any specific performance issues.  Mainly just curious if I'm getting the speeds I should expect.  Thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

No problem. Let us know if you have issues as we'd be happy to help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7