× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I do a factory reset?

molaver
Tutor

Should I do a factory reset?

I recently changed internet providers from Comcast at 75mbps to 1 Gig 5G fiber optic.  Wifi properties of the Netgear router (shown on my laptop) list the link speeds at 866 receive and 433 transmit.  However, using the Nighthawk app's "speed test", I am seeing 240-290mbps download speed and 650-700mbps upload speed.  This does not seem right to me.  Shouldn't download speed be faster than upload?  Could there be some residual issues in the router from the change in providers?  I did not reset the router prior to the change.  Just turned off, unplugged, reconnected with the new Cat 6 cable, plugged in and turned on the router.  If that was all that needed to be done, what other issues should I be looking at ???

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

There's a support site with access to manuals, firmware, install guides, etc.
Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx
Its a great resource to start with for finding those settings. 

You can access the routers setting through your browser pretty easily. 

Or you could just factory reset it and start back at square 1. Never a bad idea when switching isp's or changing speed. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The R6220 is a very base model gigabit device. A couple things. 

1. you won't see gigabit speeds over wireless. 

2. link speeds are roughly 55-65% of throughput. Meaning if you actually connect at 866mbps, you're actual throughput is only going to be 55-65% of that for 5ghz. 2.4ghz is even worse

3. 2.4ghz is a slow network. its throughput is even lower because of the very nature of how it works. 

4. When you test off the built in speedtest, it hosts the test off the router. this isn't always the most accurate as it rarely chooses the best server. 

5. With the r6220 being very base model, if you're using any extra monitoring like qos, access control, traffic monitoring, or parental controls, your speeds will drop to what you're experiencing. Its because then the router has to inspect the traffic and its doesn't have enough processor power to do so at gigabit speeds. 

so heres where I'd start. 

1. disable qos, access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls. Then reboot your device. 

2. hardwire a pc/laptop into the router and test off the hardwired device. Not the built in speedtest. try different test servers as when you get to gigabit speeds, some test servers wont' max out gigabit

Try that first and see what you get. 

What modem/ont are you connecting to?

Message 2 of 5
molaver
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply.  Not sure where to look for qos, access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls.  I went to the administration page of my router and only found a traffic metering setting which was set to off.  Are the settings you mentioned found on the router or the laptop?  After establishing these things, I can then do the hard wire from the router to the laptop and report the results.  The modem (ONT) I am using was supplied by the ISP which they remotely tested and claimed is functioning properly at 1 gig speed.  Although the provider's tech support only addresses issues with their hardware, they did mention that there might be an issue with a firewall.  I poked around and found firewall settings but nothing that looked like it pertained to the router or internet settings so I left everything alone.  I apologize for needing a bit (or a lot) of hand holding...wifi/networking issues are not my strong point.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

There's a support site with access to manuals, firmware, install guides, etc.
Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx
Its a great resource to start with for finding those settings. 

You can access the routers setting through your browser pretty easily. 

Or you could just factory reset it and start back at square 1. Never a bad idea when switching isp's or changing speed. 

Message 4 of 5

@molaver wrote:

The modem (ONT) I am using was supplied by the ISP which they remotely tested and claimed is functioning properly at 1 gig speed. 

After changing the source of the Internet, you need the router to forget settings inherited from the one you had before. They can affect the speed you get.

There are two ways of doing this, either reset the router or take it through the setup process using the "Internet Setup Wizard".

Although the provider's tech support only addresses issues with their hardware, they did mention that there might be an issue with a firewall.  I poked around and found firewall settings but nothing that looked like it pertained to the router or internet settings so I left everything alone. 

@plemans has dealt with most of the issues, but talk of firewalls from your ISP just shows that they are not familiar with your hardware. There is no control over the built-in firewall in the R6220.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7