× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two powerline 1000 kits?

thetomosaurus
Follower

Two powerline 1000 kits?

I am renting a basement apartment in a house that's kind of big and spread out. There is a tenant in the garage that currently uses a wifi booster but the basement gets nothing. At best buy, the guy recommended I buy two Powerline Wifi 1000 kits. (two boxes with two adapters). Is that necessary or should I just be able to add another adapter to the network without buying a whole separate kit? And will her tp link extender possibly work in the garage still if I set this up? 

Message 1 of 2

Re: Two powerline 1000 kits?

@thetomosaurus wrote:

I am renting a basement apartment in a house that's kind of big and spread out. There is a tenant in the garage that currently uses a wifi booster but the basement gets nothing. At best buy, the guy recommended I buy two Powerline Wifi 1000 kits. (two boxes with two adapters). Is that necessary or should I just be able to add another adapter to the network without buying a whole separate kit? And will her tp link extender possibly work in the garage still if I set this up? 

Not sure why they suggested two kits or what the question is. What you are trying to achieve in the way of connecting things?

Netgear, like many suppliers of Powerline systems, does not sell single plugs. You have to buy the bundle. However, one or two brands do sell standalone plugs, including AP plugs. (Check the usual places.) Then there is the second-hand market.

Many routers work in AP mode, so an alternative is to use a standard (non AP) plug as the Ethernet link between a router and a wifi extender in AP mode.

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs, or vice versa, they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

When adding new plugs to an existing network, you need to follow this advice:

>>> Adding a powerline adapter to an existing powerline network <<<

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7