× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to obtain IP address from WNDR4300v2 after setting as access point

KirkVS
Follower

Unable to obtain IP address from WNDR4300v2 after setting as access point

I have to admit, this is my first time trying to extend my wireless range, and I'm confused by the whole access point concept. It seems like what I really want is  a repeater, but that mode isn't available on the 4300v2.

I have two 4300v2 units. One is set as a normal wifi router. I want to setup a second 4300v2 to extend the range of this "base" router. Ideally, I want the wifi SSID and passcode to be the same between the two wifi units. So the wireless client can move seamlessly between the two without having to make new connections.

When I follow the instructions to set the second unit as an Access Point, it gets assigned an IP from the original router as 10.0.0.1. I then take the access point and move it away from the original router. Just within wireless range of the original router. I don't connect anything to the WAN port of the AP. My wifi client has good signal from the AP, but is unable to obtain an IP address.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
storm1985
Prodigy

Re: Unable to obtain IP address from WNDR4300v2 after setting as access point

what you need is wireless repeating but i dont think this model supports that function. I suggest you buy an extender

AP mode = main router  (LAN port) > WAN port (router2) > clients (wired + wireless)

Wireless bridging = main router (wireless) > wireless (router2) > clients (wired ONLY)

Wireless repeating = main router (wireless)> wireless (router2) > clients (wired + wireless)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

what you need is wireless repeating but i dont think this model supports that function. I suggest you buy an extender

AP mode = main router  (LAN port) > WAN port (router2) > clients (wired + wireless)

Wireless bridging = main router (wireless) > wireless (router2) > clients (wired ONLY)

Wireless repeating = main router (wireless)> wireless (router2) > clients (wired + wireless)

Message 2 of 4
10bender
Aspirant

The onboard software has repeater and base options, sure its not supported?
Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@10bender If you do get an option for Wireless repeating then you can use the wireless repeating feature. However, if you don't then there's no way to repeat the signal or extend the signal wirelessly. 

Also, it will be indicated in the manual if it supports such feature. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7