× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Used wifi dsl router/modem

Areber
Aspirant

Used wifi dsl router/modem

Purchased a used netgear wireless router/modem.  I am not able to connect to the internet. All other lights do come on.  My computer recognizes it but can't connect. Contacted my internet provider and they said there was no problem on their end.  I contacted NETGEAR, but because it was originally purchase in 2011, they could not provide support. My internet sucks and so does my phone service so I can't use my phone to find help when there is no internet.  

Model: DGN2000|WIRELESS-N ROUTER WITH BUILT-IN DSL MODEM
Message 1 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

Re: Used wifi dsl router/modem

You don't really provide enough information to give an answer (ISP, connection requirements (splitter yes/no, VLAN tagging, PPPoA vs PPPoE or something completely different), but the device in question is rather old and only supports ADSL/ ADSL2, afaik not even ADSL2+, nor VDSL, which would be in common use today (the last firmware update being 5 years old isn't exactly great news either).

Message 2 of 7
Areber
Aspirant

Thanks, I didn't hold out much hope.  Thought maybe someone would know something simple to try.  Don't understand why isp would be necessary, and sorry pretty ignorant when it comes to most of how it all works.  Don't even know what all the other letters mean. Again

thanks for responding.

Message 3 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

The problem is that you do need to understand those "letters", if you want to configure your router, rather than letting an ISP provided modem-router to do magic autoconfiguration. Your ISP should provide you with the necessary information to configure your router, but this is often rather hidden or lacking - knowing the ISP might help others to either locate the necessary data or even provide it based on their personal experience.

While I'm not going through all of the mentioned acronyms, let's take a look at the primary question.

You only specify "dsl router/modem, but at no point do you actually provide the information what your ISP requires from your modem.

"dsl" is usually more correctly defined as "xDSL", the 'x' standing for two major (and several small) different technologies:

- ADSL (which consists of ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+)

- VDSL (which consists of VDSL, VDSL2, VDSL2+vectoring, VDSL2+super-vectoring)

(and yes, this is a very rough simplification of the actual specification requirements, which also include the supported annex (A, B, J, M, ...) for ADSL or the necessary VDSL profiles (17b, 35b, ... and much more, once you look into the fine-print)

As mentioned before, the DGN2000 is a rather old device by now - a quick glance at its technical specifications only lists ADSL and ADSL2 as being supported (it's silent about ADSL2+, which leaves this open to speculation - given its release date I'd hope for it so be supported, but it's not explicitly listed; disclaimer: I have not dug into the detailed specs) - so if all you need is ADSL/ ADSL2 (at the correct annex!), you should be all set (and need to look further into the other afforementioned connenction details) - if your ISP expects you to talk VDSL (any flavour of it), this device wouldn't do (e.g. the DM200 could, up to VDSL2+vectoring/ profile 17b, but NOT VDSL2+super-vectoring/ profile 35b, for that you'd need an even more current device).

Message 4 of 7
Areber
Aspirant

Hi, thanks again.  I do think it is probably too old to work.  Like I said pretty ignorant and just (assumed) DSL is DSL.  Didn't think about the fact that, just like with computers, printers  and so on, they need to speak the same language.  You have been a lot of help, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things.

Message 5 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

Please do make sure to find out the necessary connection type (and the other requirements to connect to your ISP) first, so you can choose a matching device (another question would be VoIP/ SIP support or ISP based IPTV).

If you're far away from the DSLAM (the other (active) end of the xDSL line, the 'xDSL modem' at the ISP's side of the connection), ADSL/ ADSL2/ ADSL2+ might still be good enough for your connection (technically specified up to 20 MBit/s, in practice usually <=16 MBit/s) - anything above would require one of the VDSL standards (and with vectoring/ super-vectoring cabinets, you must provide a matching vectoring modem - older VDSL1 ones won't connect or are confined to a slow fall-back profile).

It sometimes helps to take a look at the devices your ISP advertizes - not necessarily to buy them, but to help finding out the features you're looking for with your own device.

Message 6 of 7
Areber
Aspirant

Hi, my provider doesn't sell they only rent at $10 a month.  It recently changed ownership and the new owner would allow me to buy my own, but finding dsl router/modems is not easy.  They are supposed to be installing fiber sometime this year, part of the reason I did not want to spend a whole lot on a new device. Anyway, thanks to you I am now much better informed and will do my research before I buy anything.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7