× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Verizon Extender with 6400

LLCOOLD
Aspirant

Verizon Extender with 6400

I have a NightHawk primary router, but have turned an old 6400 into a wireless access point connecting using a Powerline 1000.  No matter what I try I can't seem to get it to work.  I can use the extender successfully in my nighthawk 8400 but plugging into the powerline 1000 will will sometimes with the amber light but then stops working randomly.  Using the 6400 as an access point has the same issues. Are there settings I could be missing, or is it an issue to use over a powerline 1000

Message 1 of 6

Re: Verizon Extender with 6400

@LLCOOLD wrote:

I can use the extender successfully in my nighthawk 8400 but plugging into the powerline 1000 will will sometimes with the amber light but then stops working randomly.  Using the 6400 as an access point has the same issues.

For a start 6400 and 8400 don't help much. R6400, R8400, D6400 or D8400?

Try troubleshooting two different things.

Start with the "6400". Put it into AP mode and plug it in to the "8400" as the host.

When you get that sorted, move on to the Powerline. Put the "guest" (receiving plug)  next to the "host" (router plug). Then see if you can get the AP device to work.

Get that sorted and then move the guest plug to where you want to locate the AP.

I happily use "Powerline 1000" – again, a less than detailed model number – with an Orbi in AP mode.

Message 2 of 6
LLCOOLD
Aspirant

Apologies, I have Nighthawk X6 R8000  and AC1750 WiFi Router (R6400).  I have placed the R6400 in AP mode and successfully connected to the internet with it. One question on that, do I need to do anything else other than place in AP mode. I have seen videos where others modify the DHCP to manual etc.

Message 3 of 6
LLCOOLD
Aspirant

AC1750 6400

I think I have found the culprit. My Powerline 1000 works close by and at almost every outlet except the ones on the front wall of my house.  Do the other models support further distance or is it just my electric wiring?

Message 4 of 6

@LLCOOLD wrote:

One question on that, do I need to do anything else other than place in AP mode. I have seen videos where others modify the DHCP to manual etc.

I don't know what videos you have seen – there's a lot of misleading junk out there – but putting the R6400 into AP mode should be enough. That disables many of the things that a router gets up to,

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 6

Re: AC1750 6400

@LLCOOLD wrote:

..... is it just my electric wiring?

That's my guess.

Different models are mostly a matter of the speeds they handle rather than distance reached.

Maybe one of the working sockets lets you get the wifi to the "not spots". Remember the best place for a wifi source is in the middle of the gap you want to fill, not on the edge.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7