× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAC104 crashes at high wired bandwidth

Cyroq
Aspirant

WAC104 crashes at high wired bandwidth

Hi, I'm having trouble with my new WAC104 router. Whenever I'm using high bandwidth on a single device for more than half a minute or so, the router crashes and my entire network is offline until I reboot the router. The devices are connected wired. When I limit the download speed in the device at 2Mb/s the connection stays stable. The crashes seem to happen especially when using P2P technology, but I can't say for sure that's the origin of the problem.

How can I fix this?

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 4

@Cyroq wrote:

Hi, I'm having trouble with my new WAC104 router.

This is a wireless access point, not a router. So it  might help if you told people about the rest of your network, especially the router in front of this device.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
Cyroq
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry about the confusion the difference between a router and access point, I'm sometimes struggling with the terminology.

I'm running the latest firmware, which at the moment is V1.0.4.17. I couldn't find any documentation on this specific problem.

The router in front of my access point is an Experia Box V12 which I got from my Internet provider. I do not have any custom firewalls or VPNs installed on the router and access point.
Message 3 of 4

@Cyroq wrote:
I'm sometimes struggling with the terminology.

Join the club.

The router in front of my access point is an Experia Box V12 which I got from my Internet provider.

A WAC104 in AP mode should be relatively bulletproof.

I'd expect the router to call the shots. Maybe there are some e=settings n that that need tweaking. Do the wifi devices that cause grief on the WAC104 behave differently in the router's wifi?

Unfortunately the router doesn't seem to be something sold into English speaking markets, so I can't find a useful (to me) manual.

Maybe your ISP can help. It supplied the thing after all.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7