× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAX206 access points in a home

TheShanester
Follower

WAX206 access points in a home

I tried two different CAX80's and bounced back and forth between Comcast and Netgear with no resolution in getting operational. So now I have three WAX206's in my home. All three are set up exactly the same. The main and guest networks are 5GHz/WPA3; the smart home network has both bands on. Will these handoff like a mesh network since each AP is transmitting the same network names? Should I set them up differently? My speeds range from close to 800Mbps down to almost 100Mbps, but I've got around 1400Mbps going into the WAN port on each.

Message 1 of 2

Re: WAX206 access points in a home

@TheShanester wrote:

Will these handoff like a mesh network since each AP is transmitting the same network names?

As I understand it, no. There is much more to Mesh than having the same SSID.

The WAX206 is not a "Mesh enabled" wireless access point.

Mesh relies on communication between the router, the main wifi source, and the "satellites" it "feeds".

For more informed advice, you might do well to consult the section where the experts in those devices hang out. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7