× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3400v2 Access point setting GONE.

Art_C
Tutor

WNDR3400v2 Access point setting GONE.

I believe this may be a bug in the new firmware I just installed in the router.  It was setup as an Access point before the upgrade.  It is still correctly setup after the upgrade.  The problem is that the actual entry in the web-based setup pages to enable the Access point mode is gone.  I could assume that this might re-appear if I were to go back to factory settings, which would "probably" re-enable the normal mode, but if it didn't show the access point enable option, then the device would unusable for it's current application.

For that reason, I am asking if anyone HAS reset to factory settings and seen that the "Enable Access Point" setting is actually available.  The new firmware displays that it IS in this mode right on the first page, but there is no setting available to take it out of this mode for normal use, etc.  Before I upgrade any more of these (I service a few networks and support around 5 of this model...) I want to ensure that I can get them back and forth between the two modes and not be locked into whatever mode it was in prior to the upgrade.

Not that it should make any difference but, the existing basic configuration, for this test on my personal network, is a basic cable modem to a Netgear prosafe router, and then all pc's and this access point plugged into the lan ports of the prosafe.  To ensure no conflicts I disconnected all other switches and wireless units (Of which there were more than I want to admit..) so that only the prosafe wired switch was between the PC and the WDNR3400v2.  (I even pulled out a laptop and hard wired it to the 3400.  Same result.)   ALL of the connections are static although DHCP was active in the prosafe and the PC, however I assigned a static IP to the PC, just for a test.  Nothing made any difference, as I expected.

SO, anyone think I am just missing something, or maybe the new firmware just had the option to shut off AP mode left out?  As long as it exists if Factory reset, that would be fine, but I don't want to reset without some assurance that the unit can be put back into AP mode.

Thanks to anyone that can offer any assistance.  Oh yeah, the firmware version is  V1.0.0.52_1.0.81.   The old version that worked fine was V1.0.0.38_....

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Art_C
Tutor

Thank-you for the timely response.

I have learned a few things and just wish to note them here for others future reference.

1)  AP Mode is not available for the --51- update.  It has been removed, but the reason is an error (or memory requirement...), rather than security.

2)  In standard AP mode, ALL security IS available.  Only if put in base or repeater mode does security drop to WEP Only.

3)  Strangely, the base and repeater modes still showed up as available, though not accessable due to no AP Mode.  (Solid Bug.  No Matter.  Old Firmware is Fine.)

4)  The basic AP Mode is mainly useful if this unit IS NOT the device doing direct DNS searches.  I needn't get into details, but without AP mode, it won't work well as an Access point.

5)  The new update DOES offer better access control, and for normal home use might be desirable for those functions.  IF a Basic AP add-on, don't bother with update.

As a strange little note:  This unit was in AP mode after the upgrade.  It actually noted this on the "Start" page, however it dropped into normal mode all by itself after a few hours.  I was not watching during the time it changed, but there was no power cycle nor reset done.  It did it by itself.  It did NOT change the IP, which confuses me a bit as the AP IP is not stored in the same location as the IP when in normal router/gateway mode.  Very interesting.  Possibly the same internal memory location used, but I'm not about to decompile to find out.  I just reloaded 38 firmware.

Thanks again for the ideas.  After "downgrading" to the "38" version of firmware, all is fine and I get good 5G connections in AP mode.  This really gives me more reason to follow the old addage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If the software writers could put basic AP mode back, and remove the Base and Repeater modes to fit it, then THAT is an update I would like as the access control for wireless devices is a great little option to have.  For now, the original "38" firmware works fine and I'll just wait and see what happens.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
netwrks
Master

After the firmware upgade, did you reset to factory default? If you did not, you should, and try again. After every firmware upgrade, just reset to facotry. It saves hours of work / frustrations. That way you will know what the story is with any firmware..

Message 2 of 8
Art_C
Tutor

Thanks, but that was the entire point of the post.

If the missing option remains missing then the unit is no longer useable for it's current application.  If the reset changes the setup page, then all would be OK.  I find it unreasonable to risk the functioning of the unit just to see if that corrects a possible setup page error.

This is why I asked if anyone had run the firmware update (I would hope so....) and could see if the option for "Enable Access Point Mode" shows up.  If it does, no problem, I will immeadiately reset.  If not, I cannot reset without scrapping the unit for it's current function.  (I'm talking about more than 1 unit in the near future.)

At this time, I am wondering if I can "Downgrade" these units to older firmware.  If that is possible (Which I will assume IS possible unless I hear otherwise within a day or so...) then I will take the chance, reset the unit, and if the option doesn't appear then just downgrade and turn said option back on, then upgade again.  Complex, but workable.

Either way, thanks for the reply as it made me think of other options which I can attempt myself if no-one has seen this before.

Message 3 of 8
netwrks
Master

@ElaineM do you know if AP support has been removed from V1.0.0.52_1.0.81 on the WNDR3400v2?

Message 4 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @netwrks I believe our engineers had started removing that feature due to low security (using WEP only).

The only way to get the feature is to stay on the firmware that has it.

Message 5 of 8
Art_C
Tutor

Thank-you for the timely response.

I have learned a few things and just wish to note them here for others future reference.

1)  AP Mode is not available for the --51- update.  It has been removed, but the reason is an error (or memory requirement...), rather than security.

2)  In standard AP mode, ALL security IS available.  Only if put in base or repeater mode does security drop to WEP Only.

3)  Strangely, the base and repeater modes still showed up as available, though not accessable due to no AP Mode.  (Solid Bug.  No Matter.  Old Firmware is Fine.)

4)  The basic AP Mode is mainly useful if this unit IS NOT the device doing direct DNS searches.  I needn't get into details, but without AP mode, it won't work well as an Access point.

5)  The new update DOES offer better access control, and for normal home use might be desirable for those functions.  IF a Basic AP add-on, don't bother with update.

As a strange little note:  This unit was in AP mode after the upgrade.  It actually noted this on the "Start" page, however it dropped into normal mode all by itself after a few hours.  I was not watching during the time it changed, but there was no power cycle nor reset done.  It did it by itself.  It did NOT change the IP, which confuses me a bit as the AP IP is not stored in the same location as the IP when in normal router/gateway mode.  Very interesting.  Possibly the same internal memory location used, but I'm not about to decompile to find out.  I just reloaded 38 firmware.

Thanks again for the ideas.  After "downgrading" to the "38" version of firmware, all is fine and I get good 5G connections in AP mode.  This really gives me more reason to follow the old addage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If the software writers could put basic AP mode back, and remove the Base and Repeater modes to fit it, then THAT is an update I would like as the access control for wireless devices is a great little option to have.  For now, the original "38" firmware works fine and I'll just wait and see what happens.

Message 6 of 8
netwrks
Master

@ElaineM wrote:

Hi @netwrks I believe our engineers had started removing that feature due to low security (using WEP only).

The only way to get the feature is to stay on the firmware that has it.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@netwrks You're welcome!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7