× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v2 how many devices can connect

Rodrimag
Aspirant

WNDR3400v2 how many devices can connect

Hi I have several IoT (Smart switch, smart outlet) and the total of devices is 42 itens. My main router is R6350, this router is reposible to give all IP number and I have more 2 router in AP mode, one is TL-WDR4300 (that i don't know how many devices this router can handle) if someone knows, let me know.  And I have the third router Netgear WNDR3400v2.

Anyone knows how many devices the Netgear WNDR3400v2 can handle? and the R6350 how many devices can handle?

Thanks.

Rodrigo

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNDR3400v2 how many devices can connect

@Rodrimag wrote:

As I had 2 old routers, TP-link TL-WDR4300 and WNDR3400v2, I connected these 2 devices as AP, and now the network is stable

Perhaps that is because they are in better positions to feed the devices. WiFi has a limited range.

How big is the space you are trying to fill with WiFi?

You seem to be trying to cobble together a network with a grab bag of old and ancient basic devices that were designed before the rush in to IoT stuff. Throwing in yet another strange and aged device, the WAC104 isn't going to bring you nearer to current technology.

If things are working as you want, why not just keep adding stuff until you hit the ceiling? Then rethink your network.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 12

While that is a good place to start, the WNDR3400v2, with its N600 wifi, dates back to 2010, which may precede the advice in that link.

Message 3 of 12
Rodrimag
Aspirant

Thanks, 

The connections are wireless, I have only 5 wired devices.

I am thinking to buy the model (NETGEAR Wireless Desktop Access Point (WAC104) - WiFi 5 Dual-Band AC1200 Speed | 3 x 1G Ethernet Ports | Up to 64 Devices | WPA2 Security | Desktop | MU-MIMO | Supports 3 SSIDs | 802.11ac) the price looks good at amazon $29.90. 

So, Can I define this model as main main router , it means the modem connect with this model (WAC104), and this device connect my current R6350 as AP mode?

Br.

Rodrigo

Message 4 of 12

@Rodrimag wrote:

I am thinking to buy the model (NETGEAR Wireless Desktop Access Point (WAC104) - WiFi 5 Dual-Band AC1200 Speed | 3 x 1G Ethernet Ports | Up to 64 Devices | WPA2 Security | Desktop | MU-MIMO | Supports 3 SSIDs | 802.11ac) the price looks good at amazon $29.90. 

There may be good reasons for that low price.

The WAC104 bills itself as a "Wireless Access Point" (AP) it is old (2016) and while it does have some router features the manual goes into great detail on how to get it to work with your router. That's what it was designed for.

It  might make a great AP, it seems like a quirky thing to choose as a router.

What is wrong with using your R6350 as your main router? It is actually younger (2018) than the WAC104.

Why are you looking for new hardware? What do you want to so that you can't do now?

If it is the wifi clients, try the R6350. If it causes problems, look for something else. Or, at that price, buy an WAC104 and use it as an AP behind the R6350.

Message 5 of 12
Rodrimag
Aspirant

HI,

I didn't know about the details of the WAC104. Thanks to explain.

My problem is when I use only the R6350 my smart devices are unstable losing connection and impossible to register new ones.

As I had 2 old routers, TP-link TL-WDR4300 and WNDR3400v2, I connected these 2 devices as AP, and now the network is stable, my main concern is to know how many devices the tp link model and WNDR can handle, as the WNDR is an old model is not easy this kind of information and the TP-Link is the same challenge.

I have plans to add more smart devices, but I don't know how many devices I can add to my network, If I know how many devices each router can handle, I can divide better between them.

Message 6 of 12

@Rodrimag wrote:

As I had 2 old routers, TP-link TL-WDR4300 and WNDR3400v2, I connected these 2 devices as AP, and now the network is stable

Perhaps that is because they are in better positions to feed the devices. WiFi has a limited range.

How big is the space you are trying to fill with WiFi?

You seem to be trying to cobble together a network with a grab bag of old and ancient basic devices that were designed before the rush in to IoT stuff. Throwing in yet another strange and aged device, the WAC104 isn't going to bring you nearer to current technology.

If things are working as you want, why not just keep adding stuff until you hit the ceiling? Then rethink your network.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Basically @michaelkenward is saying you're trying to piece this together with old products that are generations behind. 

Never a good plan for speeds/stability.

It might be time to scrap it and upgrade a bit. You can pick up pretty cheap mesh systems on amazon both new and renewed. 

If you've got a hardwired backhaul the dual band systems can perform perform pretty well. Like the MK nighthawks. Or you can pick up a triband system and use a mix/match of wired and wireless backhaul. 

Message 8 of 12

@plemans wrote:

Never a good plan for speeds/stability.

Not to mention security.

Some of that stuff is well beyond Netgear's "support by" date.

NETGEAR End of Service | NETGEAR

Message 9 of 12
Rodrimag
Aspirant

Thanks, 

Do you have any suggestion of models?

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

It helps to know how much area you're looking at covering. 

I'm a fan of renewed products just because I haven't had a netgear device fail on me yet. Its usually settings/firmware issues that can be resolved. And I'm willing to gamble. 

So not sure what you're budget it. 

The older renewed RBK43 is on there pretty cheap. its an orbi system with 2x satellites that you can use hardwired in or using the wireless backhaul (triband system). 

Or you could look at something like the MK63 (if you're mainly used wired backhaul). 

there's even the RBK752 system on there thats pretty solid if you're wanting to make the jump to AX

Message 11 of 12

@Rodrimag wrote:

Thanks, 

Do you have any suggestion of models?

Try plugging your needs into the product pages.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

If you follow the advice from @plemans and are happy to go recycled – always a great idea if you don't lust for life on the bleeding edge – try something that is "last year's model" of something on that page.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7