× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v3 Extremely low upload speed

badhairdaylady
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 Extremely low upload speed

I'm brand new!  I'm sure I have something configured wrong!  Upload speed is barely registering, web pages, video and games aren't loading properly.  I'm supposed to be working right now (from home), but can't get my software to load properly either.  Can someone help me out?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
badhairdaylady
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400v3 Extremely low upload speed

Probably a good thing that we have YouTube!  So I figured it out!  Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup>MTU Setup, change to 1400, click apply.   Run a speedtest, all should be well!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
badhairdaylady
Aspirant

Probably a good thing that we have YouTube!  So I figured it out!  Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup>MTU Setup, change to 1400, click apply.   Run a speedtest, all should be well!

Message 2 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Must be a bad hair day.  Smiley Tongue  Sorry, couldn't resist.

A slow upload speed indicates that there is congestion somewhere in the network.  The trick is figuring out where it is.

First, make sure no one else in your household is hogging the Internet.  Someone could be streaming a video or uploading a bunch of pictures, etc.

Second, try performing a traceroute.  A traceroute will report roundtrip times along a network path.  If you are Windows, open a Command Prompt and run tracert google.com.  On a Mac, traceroute google.com.  Or traceroute to a website that seems really slow.

Each line printed by the trace is a hop in the network and the roundtrip time, in milliseconds, to that hop.  The first hop will be your WNDR3400v3 and the second hop may or may not be your modem.  All subsequent hops will be in the ISP or Internet itself.  The goal is to determine where the roundtrip times jump significantly.  If the jump occurs at the first or second hop, then bottleneck is probably in your home.  If it's anywhere else, then it's either the ISP or Internet.  If it's the ISP, you could call them up and complain.

If you think your router is the culprit, try rebooting it.  If it doesn't help and you are in a pinch, temporarily remove your router and connect your PC directly to the ISP modem.  This should, at least, allow you to work.

Message 3 of 4
badhairdaylady
Aspirant

Believe me, my hair is really bad!  Often look like Medusa! 

TheEther, thanks for the reply, I'll try your suggestion!

I've had connectivity issues since August now and even put in a complaint to CCTS, a division of the CRTC. My issues are ongoing and situation is not resolved! I have had free service since August but ISP doesn't see a problem. I was originally told that there was a bottleneck a few blocks away. This latest problem with upload speed is just since installing my new router, the Netgear WNDR3400v3. I immediately started experiencing problems with upload speed.  Upload was 0.15 mbsp, it's now over 10 mbps.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7