× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v3 slow wired connection

mccollamj1
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 slow wired connection

I recently upgraded my internet speed from 50mbps to 100mbps. Prior to the upgrade my wired connection speed to the router was always very near that 50mbps mark and my wirless speed was also very close (somewhere in the 30-40s).

After upgrading, the speeds directly out of my modem are actually higher than the 100mbps target, I'm getting 120-130mbps consistently when plugged directly into the modem. However, when hard-wired to the router, I am seeing a significant drop off. The wired router connection has never been above 60mbps. My wireless speed is about the same as what it was before.

I called support and they kept telling me that wireless speeds will always be less than what you pay for. He was not understanding that my concern was the hard-wired connection being half the speed that is coming directly from the modem. Then, he wanted to charge me $80 to try to "optimize the settings" remotely. I could go buy an identical router for less than that price and use the free trial support and have an extra router lying around (that can apparently only handle 50mbps incoming speeds).

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any troubleshooting steps I should complete before buying a new router. I've tried factory resetting the router, Downgrading and Upgrading firmware, different ethernet cables (all cables worked at 120+mbps directly to the router). Nothing can get the speed above 60mbps.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mccollamj1
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400v3 slow wired connection

After trying that I've accepted it is hardware failure. Purchased a new router. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
mccollamj1
Aspirant

***Edit*** All cables worked at 120+ mbps directly connected to the modem. (not router... that is the problem). 

Message 2 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @mccollmj1 

Do you have the latest firmware installed in the router? 

How about doing a factory reset? If you have not, try to factory reset the router then reconfigure it afterwards then observe your connection. 

Message 3 of 6
mccollamj1
Aspirant

Elaine,

Thank you for your suggestions. However, 

I have tried multiple versions of the firmware. I downgraded to the begininning and tested several along the way to the most recent -- V1.0.1.8_1.0.56. I have tried factory resets with each firmware I tested.

The results are always about the same:

Wired speed directly from modem to computer between 100mbps-120mbps.

Wired speeds from the router to computer between 40mbps-50mbps, occasionally up to 60mbps, but never over.

Wireless speeds between 30mbps-50mbps.

Any other ideas? Would the fact that the incoming connection is more than 100mbps have anything to do with it (since the router can only pass up to 100mbps)?

Message 4 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The routers should at least accommodate more than 50Mbps but not exceed 100Mbps since it can only support up to 100Mbps. 

It may be a hardware failure. 

One thing to try is to disable the DHCP on the router then connect the cable from the modem to one of the LAN ports on the router then your computer should also be in one of the LAN ports.

Check your speed. If your speed is still 40-50Mbps it's time to get a new router. 

Message 5 of 6
mccollamj1
Aspirant

After trying that I've accepted it is hardware failure. Purchased a new router. Thank you.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7