× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v3 wps flashing on its own

WilliamBonnie
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 wps flashing on its own

I looked but couldn't find anything similiar. I woke up other day and my wps light was flashing green on its own. It sits above everything on wall elevated so I cam see it from my room and it was not flashing night before nor did I pair anything. I woke up and it was flashing green as if it was pairing or attempting to. Why would it flash on its own. I did have the wps check box disabled long time ago and the default router password is something else and ssid password etc. Only thing I can think is a glitch or someone was trying to hack it. Is this a common issue for it to just come on by itself? Has latest firmware and updated itself again today. Only time I seen it do what it did. I know the people next door are basically jobless with time on hands younger type. That's only thing I could think. Reset it all and changed everything again also re disabling the wps. But like I said why would it just flash green as if it's trying to pair when I have the wps disabled and did not try to pair anything and nobody else lives with me. Am I dealing with a glitch that occured or a hacking incident?
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
WilliamBonnie
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400v3 wps flashing on its own

I guess I'll replace it sometime in near future. Didn't last long. I was thinking issue with hardware. Past it's warrenty time but gives me opportunity to get a higher signal and better netgear router with more features.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
wcalifas831
Prodigy

I would have to say its some kind of glitch, are your neighbors that advanced for something like that? Maybe you accidently pressed the wps button by accident on the router?

Message 2 of 8
WilliamBonnie
Aspirant

Negative no accidental press. 2 of them aren't but the new 3rd is younger college kid. They have so many coming and going from there. It was very strange. I was thinking if it was the 3rd guy he had help as he seems dingy. Hard to say. For sure the first 2 are not smart. 3rd may but it was that one time and I also notice now a wifi ssid coming from there place with name. Whether or not they are actively broadcasting a Internet signal idk but there is a ssid signal with name. I check my logs and it isnt showing anyone else on it but me with 1 device currently.
Message 3 of 8
wcalifas831
Prodigy

You should then do a hard reset of your router to factory state and re-do your settings with a different password and better security to your password. Which security did you use for your password (e.g. Wpa-tkip, wpa2-aes?)

Message 4 of 8
WilliamBonnie
Aspirant

I make it habit to change router admin password weekly and ssid passwords bi weekly. Nothing short either with any available character and non full words to avoid brut force lists. Using wpa2-aes. I did a hard reset on router after the incident so far nothing noticeable has occured and I check the network list with no intrudes showing. One thing about this router is if the power goes out or I turn it off by the on off button it lags in 2.4 Ghz only allowing 5ghz connection. Same thing if I update firmware or change the ssid too much it'll cause the routers 2.4 ghz to not work but put out the ssid. I leaned toward hardware and firmware error but I noticed a antenna on side of the neighbors apartment he put up so had me wondering since it was a wifi type outdoor antenna hanging out mounted on window.
Message 5 of 8
doraemon
Prodigy

Sounds like it's starting to degrade.

Message 6 of 8
WilliamBonnie
Aspirant

I guess I'll replace it sometime in near future. Didn't last long. I was thinking issue with hardware. Past it's warrenty time but gives me opportunity to get a higher signal and better netgear router with more features.
Message 7 of 8
doraemon
Prodigy

Good luck!

I suggest to read more on reviews before buying. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7