× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR34700v4 - LAN speed decreases from 200+MB/s to less than 10 mb/s over days

dbavery
Aspirant

WNDR34700v4 - LAN speed decreases from 200+MB/s to less than 10 mb/s over days

Hello - I have a WNDR3700v4 router connected to Nighthawk R7000. The WNDR3700v4 is connect via one of its regular LAN ports (NOT the WAN port) so that it just extends the nighthawk R7000 network.

I am hardwired to the WNDR3700v4 via a LAN and have measured speeds up to 200+MB/s download (as measured on speedtest.net). However, I am finding that after a couple of days my download speeds consistently drops to < 10mb/s (speedtest.net). A reboot of the WNDR37000 corrects this, however after a couple of days we get to the same point. Not that it matters, but WIFI to the WNDR3700v4 shows the same speed. When I connect my laptop to the same LAN cable that I am using to extend the network to my WNDR3700v4 I get the higher 200MB/s download. So I have isolated the problem to the WNDR3700.

I have updated the firmware on the WNDR3700 to the latest possible through there auto-updater (V1.0.2.78).

Any suggestions on things I can look at to further debug and or any known / possible resolutions?

Thank you,

Devin

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: WNDR34700v4 - LAN speed decreases from 200+MB/s to less than 10 mb/s over days

IMO, and others also.. When a router's firmware is updated, it is always best practice to reset the router to factory default. Even more important if it has never been reset. Artifacts from previous version's of firmware can cause unpredictable problems, if not reset. It also allows for the drivers to be correctly loaded, as a opposed to an update and reboot.. I have been doing the "reset to factory default" since I first started with these routers, and have never had any strange issues, unless an issue is directly related to a firmware version, which can be quickly identified. Takes out the guess work..

EDIT: the config without AP mode by diabling DHCP could be attributed to an internal performance issue. I would start with the reset to factory first, and go from tthere..

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Re: WNDR34700v4 - LAN speed decreases from 200+MB/s to less than 10 mb/s over days

In what mode is the WNDR3700v4?  Router? AP?

Message 2 of 9
dbavery
Aspirant

AP mode

Specifically, I have one of the regular LAN ports on the WNDR3700v4 connected to my nighthark so that my LAN is extended onto the WNDR3700. I do this so that when I am plugged in I have access to devices on my nighthark (and more specifically) when i am connected to my nighthawk I have access to devices on my 3700.

Message 3 of 9
netwrks
Master

Did you try connecting to the WAN port? NG routers in AP mode, can use the WAN port as a LAN port,  also, allows NTP service to work.

Worst case, reset the WNDR3700v4 to factory default and reconfigure. Disable DHCP (give it a static IP address - one not in use by anything else in your network), and leave the wifi up. If you manually configure the WNDR3700v4, instead of using AP mode, then use a LAN port. 

Message 4 of 9
dbavery
Aspirant

I can give those suggestions a try. But do you have any insight into why either of those might work while it doesn't in this configuration? 

Message 5 of 9
netwrks
Master

IMO, and others also.. When a router's firmware is updated, it is always best practice to reset the router to factory default. Even more important if it has never been reset. Artifacts from previous version's of firmware can cause unpredictable problems, if not reset. It also allows for the drivers to be correctly loaded, as a opposed to an update and reboot.. I have been doing the "reset to factory default" since I first started with these routers, and have never had any strange issues, unless an issue is directly related to a firmware version, which can be quickly identified. Takes out the guess work..

EDIT: the config without AP mode by diabling DHCP could be attributed to an internal performance issue. I would start with the reset to factory first, and go from tthere..

Message 6 of 9
dbavery
Aspirant

Unfortunetly a factory reset didn't do the trick. Additionally I have the LAN connection connecting into the WAN port (AP mode) and still seeing the same problem.

Any other suggestions before I toss this guy?

It ultimately looks like there is a flaw in firmware resulting in degradded performance over time when in AP mode.  (NOTE: I didn't start seeing this issue until I was bumped from 150 MB/s down to 230+ MB/s down).

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dbavery Try to reflash the firmware of the router then do a factory reset after. 

Message 8 of 9
dbavery
Aspirant

After I rebooted from the factory reset (a second time) the problem has not returned yet (7 days and running) ... for now we will go with that as the correct solution.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7