× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700: One attached device hangs all other devices

AFitterman
Aspirant

WNDR3700: One attached device hangs all other devices

Hi - I've had my Netgear WNDR3700 router attached to a Netgear modem for close to 10 years and in general everything works well together. However, it seems around the time I got an iPhone 12 mini at the end of 2020 I've had a recurring problem that I just don't understand...

Often when I'm using my phone on my wifi, my internet connection will hang. I need to switch off wifi on my phone, let whatever I'm trying to connect to load over my phone carrier network, and then I can switch back to wifi. It's annoying and it's certainly an issue with the phone, but I live with it.

The bigger problem that I'm trying to solve is that when my phone's connection to my wifi hangs, every other device connected to my router also hangs. I believe if I wait long enough the issue resolves itself, but the only way to actively resolve the issue is to switch my phone from from wifi to phone carrier and back again. It's almost like the router is getting backed up with traffic it can't send to my phone so it stops letting anything else connect to it until it can talk to my phone again. And it's only a problem with that one phone - none of my other devices hang when that phone is not in use.

Like I said, it's an annoying problem but not a killer, so as much as I'd like to resolve the issue I'm more interested in understanding what the issue is. I can't find any similar issues on the internet - probably because I can't figure out how to accurately describe the issue in a 5 word google search. Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WNDR3700: One attached device hangs all other devices

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Be sure to disable WiFI Private IP Address feature on the iPhone and see if this helps:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

If nothing seems to help, maybe time to upgrade the router to something newer generation. Thats a fairly old router now by todays standards.

Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

I suggest upgrading to a more modern technology. Your router is ancient.
Message 3 of 6
AFitterman
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. The modem is a Netgear CM500 that I purchased and is connected to Spectrum cable. The modem and router are two feet apart and connected with a Netgear supplied cable. The 2.4GHz network is set to auto but my phones and Macbook are usually connected to the 5GHz network which is on channel 153 (no idea why I chose that). I auto-check for new firmware every time I open the routerlogin portal and I don't think I've had a firmware update to download in several years - probably before I got my current iPhone - and I unplug and reboot my modem and router every 2 or 3 months. I'll try toggling the the private IP setting on my phone and see if that has any effect, and then I'll move on to trying the IP address pool change.

Still, I'd really like to understand why an issue with one device connected to my router would knock out every other connected device.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6

@microchip8 wrote:
I suggest upgrading to a more modern technology. Your router is ancient.

To add to that sound advice, the WNDR3700 dates back to 2009, more than the decade mentioned in the first message. There have been several generations of wifi standards and technology since then.There won't be any firmware updates for a router that old.

The last model in that range, V5 harfware, same out in 2015.

While many devices can happily work with old network kit, Apple has a reputation, possibly undeserved, for doing things that leave other brand stranded. It likes to tweak things as it sees best, without warning other manufacturers or providing them with the information they need to tweak existing products.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

3-6 feet distance is recommended between the modem and router.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

Possible some instability with the router with newer generation devices connected maybe causing something to crash or stall. The WiFi Private IP address has been know to cause problems else where as well. I don't use it at home ever. Only when traveling. The router is pretty old on based on older wifi standards that have been changed since then. So anything is possible. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

@AFitterman wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. The modem is a Netgear CM500 that I purchased and is connected to Spectrum cable. The modem and router are two feet apart and connected with a Netgear supplied cable. The 2.4GHz network is set to auto but my phones and Macbook are usually connected to the 5GHz network which is on channel 153 (no idea why I chose that). I auto-check for new firmware every time I open the routerlogin portal and I don't think I've had a firmware update to download in several years - probably before I got my current iPhone - and I unplug and reboot my modem and router every 2 or 3 months. I'll try toggling the the private IP setting on my phone and see if that has any effect, and then I'll move on to trying the IP address pool change.

Still, I'd really like to understand why an issue with one device connected to my router would knock out every other connected device.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7