× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4300 5ghz

purplesky2
Tutor

WNDR4300 5ghz

How can I turn my 5ghz band on for my wndr 4300 router?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: WNDR4300 5ghz

Try using channel 149. The upper channels are allowed to broadcast at higher power.

Check the driver settings for the tplink and make sure the 5 GHz band is enabled.

Run a Wi-Fi surveyor program, like inSSIDer, vistumbler, or Acrylic Wi-Fi. It will report what networks it can see.

Make sure the antennas on both the router and tplink card are properly installed.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @purplesky2,

Welcome to the community!

The 5Ghz signal should be on by default.

For some reasons that it's not broadcasting, you may want to check the settings by accessing the admin page of the router. Look if SSID broadcast is enabled.

See page 29 from this link.

Let us know what happens.

Message 2 of 12
purplesky2
Tutor

that didnt work, even tried to manually add the connection

Message 3 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@purplesky2 Do you still have the 5Ghz LED light on the front panel of the router? Can you still see the name that it broadcast? How about the 2.4Ghz signal can you see its broadcasted signal?

Have you tried resetting and reconfiguring the router?

Looking forward to your response.

Message 4 of 12
myersw
Master

If it is broadcasting the issue may be that the channel chosen, if set to auto, or channel set is not for the region, country you are in. Not all 5 gig channels are available in all countries. 

Try something low such as channel 36 or 40 and see if that works. 

--bill

Message 5 of 12
purplesky2
Tutor

I think its that my wifi adapter cant pick up 5 ghz signal, got a wireless card that can, will update after install
Message 6 of 12
purplesky2
Tutor

update: wireless card installed, still cant connect to the 5 ghz channel

help.png

its enabling the 5g band, but im not picking it up with wireless card

Message 7 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings and make sure Enable Wireless Router Radio is set for the 5 GHz network's

What is the model of your wireless card?
Message 8 of 12
purplesky2
Tutor

help2.png

everything is turned on, and i have a tplink wireless card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@purplesky2 Can you see other wireless networks in your area? Do you have another device that can see the signal of the router such as a laptop, phones, tablets?

Message 10 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Try using channel 149. The upper channels are allowed to broadcast at higher power.

Check the driver settings for the tplink and make sure the 5 GHz band is enabled.

Run a Wi-Fi surveyor program, like inSSIDer, vistumbler, or Acrylic Wi-Fi. It will report what networks it can see.

Make sure the antennas on both the router and tplink card are properly installed.
Message 11 of 12
purplesky2
Tutor

changing the channel to 149 worked out, instantly saw the 5 ghz band Thak you both for all the help 🙂

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7