× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4300 Internet LED staying amber

kazooie350
Tutor

WNDR4300 Internet LED staying amber

I can connect to internet with modem but not with router
per manual Troubleshooting Quick Tips
Sequence to Restart Network

1. Turn off and unplug modem
2. Turn off the router and computer
3. Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes
4. Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes
5. Turn on the computer

Internet LED never changes from amber to green. No connection to internet.

I have used a paperclip to reset router to factory defaults although this router is brand new. No change. Is the power on sequence correct or should I power on router first and then modem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
kazooie350
Tutor

Re: WNDR4300 Internet LED staying amber

I tried your suggestion but did not have any luck. I decided to take the modem to a friends thinking maybe something with my modem was conflicting with this router. No luck there either.

Finally, after many unsuccessful attempts I decided to turn on the router first and then the modem. Success. Just to be sure, I read the instructions again and it clearly states to turn the modem on first. I did a complete reset, turned everything off, unplugged modem and router, plugged router in first until all lights except the internet LED were on and stable and then plugged in the modem. Again, success.

I honestly can't fathom why the instructions say to power up the modem first when that obviously doesn't work. After 2 days of failed attempts to get this working by following the instructions I had to do the opposite to get this device to work. Two days and hours of frustation. Unbelievable... I am not a happy camper.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

setup....internet setup.......select use this MAC address (enter PC mac used when going direct)

Message 2 of 10
kazooie350
Tutor

Sorry as I know I am going to seem dense... what do you mean? Please explain your response.

Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Page 24

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300/WNDR4300v1_UM_30Oct2015.pdf 

The Ethernet MAC address that the router uses on the Internet port. Some ISPs register the MAC address of the network interface card in your computer when your account is first opened. They accept traffic only from the MAC address of that computer. This feature allows your router to use your computer’s MAC address (this is also called cloning).

•Use Default Address. Use the default MAC address.

•Use Computer MAC Address. The router captures and uses the MAC address of the computer that you are now using. You have to use the one computer that the ISP allows.

•Use This MAC Address. Enter the MAC address that you want to use.

Message 4 of 10
kazooie350
Tutor

Your suggestion did not help.

After your suggestion I reset to factory defaults again, tried the power up sequence as outlined in the manual but internet LED stays amber and never turns green.

Thanks for your suggestion though. I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry

use same wired PC that you used when going direct. That mac was recognized and modem issued an IP. If you use same setup to setup router in internet setup it should work.

Message 6 of 10
kazooie350
Tutor

That PC is long gone along with my original wireless router. The ASUS model wireless router I had before this one worked fine with many PC's. I think I may return this one and go back to ASUS.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kazooie350 Before replacing, try this and see if it will resolve the amber light.

Message 8 of 10
kazooie350
Tutor

I tried your suggestion but did not have any luck. I decided to take the modem to a friends thinking maybe something with my modem was conflicting with this router. No luck there either.

Finally, after many unsuccessful attempts I decided to turn on the router first and then the modem. Success. Just to be sure, I read the instructions again and it clearly states to turn the modem on first. I did a complete reset, turned everything off, unplugged modem and router, plugged router in first until all lights except the internet LED were on and stable and then plugged in the modem. Again, success.

I honestly can't fathom why the instructions say to power up the modem first when that obviously doesn't work. After 2 days of failed attempts to get this working by following the instructions I had to do the opposite to get this device to work. Two days and hours of frustation. Unbelievable... I am not a happy camper.

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Research your modem and see what they say. I did 5 different modems and they all say power up modem first.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7