× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4500V3 - change default password from "password"

Deanwmn
Tutor

WNDR4500V3 - change default password from "password"

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNDR4500V3 - change default password from "password"

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Message 2 of 6
Deanwmn
Tutor

Thanks, michaelkenward - this does seem to answer my question in that the default password (password) can't be changed!  I've already changed the admin password a couple of times, that was no problem.  I was just hoping to be able to have a more secure default pass.  Evidently Netgear doesn't think "double layer encryption", so to speak, is necessary.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 6

Your original question, or lack of it, was cryptic in the extreme. (Perhaps you forgot to enter something in the Body space.) You said nothing about permanent changes to the default password.

The default password exists for installation and to give users the opportunity to recover access to their hardware when they forget their passwords.

Once you have changed the default password for something unique to you, without physical access to the box it would probably take some heavy duty external hacking to compromise the kit.

I can't recall seeing any previous questions about issues concerning the default password. A more common complaint is that people cannot change the default username. I can see the worry there as two-part security would be preferable.

Netgear makes consumer grade hardware. If you want something that completely obliterates all references to default passwords, then you should probably talk to the DoD or the CIA and ask them for recommendations.

Message 4 of 6
Deanwmn
Tutor

Sorry, Michael! I only had a limited amount of room to pose my question, so I entered what I thought would get the idea across. I didn't realize there was a "body space and I definitely don't think it deserves the term cryptic!  I simply asked about changing the default password!  And I really didn't think it was a matter for the DoD or the CIA!  This is my first experience in your "community", but if everyone is as rude and sarcastic as you are, it will definitely be my last!

Message 5 of 6

@Deanwmn wrote:

if everyone is as rude and sarcastic..

Did you read your response to my answer? Some might see that as rude.

I didn't realize there was a "body space and I definitely don't think it deserves the term cryptic!

Just look at the page where Netgear invites you to provide details about your question.

All I could do was to respond to the subject of your message: 

"WNDR4500V3 - change default password from "password"

By my reckoning "cryptic" isn't a bad description of what that means.

My answer was based on seeing similar messages that float by here: that response, from me and other volunteers, has dealt with many similar requests in the past.

As to the rest, I apologise for trying to inject a touch of humour into the discussion.

I removed the bit where I was going to suggest asking Hillary Clinton for advice on secure e-systems.

If you still want help with the "default password" issue, you might like to frame a  more detailed question.

If you include an explanation of why you are concerned, and what you want to achieve, perhaps someone with more knowledge of these things will chip in.

You should know that most of the answers here come from volunteers. A small band of Netgear staffers does its best to deal with tricky questions, but sometimes even they have a hard time working out what people are asking.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7