× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR4500v2 Router Recovery Using UART Serial Converter

AndyOxon
Guide

WNDR4500v2 Router Recovery Using UART Serial Converter

For an unknown reason, the WNDR4500v2 Router has stopped working correctly. I am also unable to access settings on 192.168.1.1, routerlogin.net, routerlogin.com, or via NG Genie App (PC). I suspect the firmware has been corrupted.

Standard procedure for resetting the router (via reset button) does not correct the problem. Although, evidently from SSID(s) some settings have been reset. However, network ID via LAN suggests some settings have not. In addition, I have also tried the 30/30/30 reset method, without success.

Research lead me to a number of tftp solutions (via Netgear support forums). However, both MS tftp and tftp2.exe methods fail with error: No response from server. The router does allocate the correct IP (192.168.1.2) to host (but attempted manual override also). And, the Router does respond to ping on 192.168.1.1. nmap scan reports ports 53, 548, 20005, and 5000 are open.

Since the device is way out of warranty and virtually a brick, I am considering trying to resolve the issue via UART Serial Converter after watching the procedure on a TP-Link Router.

Can anyone advise me on which USB to UART Converter to use specifically for the WNDR4500v2, and which jumpers on the board I will need to connect Putty on? (J252 already has pins, but I have no issues soldering pins into JP5 or J251 if necessary). Any additional links or information would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

According to the few pictures I found, you shouldn't need to do any soldering.  The serial pins should already be soldered onto the board.  This page has the pinouts.

Most USB to serial TTL adapters use 1 of 2 chipsets: FTDI and Prolific.  Either brand of chipset should work.  I think I have a Prolific-based adapter.  Just be careful about not getting a knock-off.  It's amazing that knock-offs exist for something so cheap.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

According to the few pictures I found, you shouldn't need to do any soldering.  The serial pins should already be soldered onto the board.  This page has the pinouts.

Most USB to serial TTL adapters use 1 of 2 chipsets: FTDI and Prolific.  Either brand of chipset should work.  I think I have a Prolific-based adapter.  Just be careful about not getting a knock-off.  It's amazing that knock-offs exist for something so cheap.

Message 2 of 5
AndyOxon
Guide

I have successfully de-bricked the router using a FTDI FT232RL USB to TTL Serial RS232 Cable, and commands: 'cfe> nvram erase' & 'cfe> flash -noheader : flash1.trx' via 'Putty' and 'tftp2.exe'. Happy days! Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
Christophe56
Aspirant

I am not able to give kudos to your message @AndyOxon so I just want to thank you, I succeeded to unbrick my router too!

Message 4 of 5
AndyOxon
Guide

Excellent!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation