× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNR2000-100NAS

LindaCurtis
Aspirant

WNR2000-100NAS

My Netgear router is working fine. I was scammed on 6/7/21. My computer was shut down - they offered to help - gave them my ID# and password. They wanted a lot of money - shut them off. Question - Macafee is blocking your I.P.192.168.1.1 because they feel it may be corrupted. Coming in at the wrong port. They know your normal port. Thought I would mention this. Internet service cannot change my IP address. I would like to update my firmware - everytime I try to sign in it says bad request. Anyway I can update?

Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> My Netgear router is working fine. [...]

Ok.  "WNR2000-100NAS" is the extended name for a WNR2000[v1].  Look
for "Model" on the product label.

> [...] Question [...]

I see no question.

> [...] Macafee is blocking your I.P.192.168.1.1 because they feel it
> may be corrupted. Coming in at the wrong port. They know your normal
> port. [...]

I don't know what that means, or where you got any of it.

> [...] I would like to update my firmware - everytime I try to sign in
> it says bad request. [...]

To me, that doesn't sound like "working fine".  What, exactly, are
you doing?  What's the actual error message?

> [...] Anyway I can update?

It'd be difficult if you can't get logged into the router's
management web site using a web browser.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for "Troubleshoot" and "Reset".  Further reading might not hurt,
either.

Message 2 of 5

@LindaCurtis wrote:

I was scammed on 6/7/21. My computer was shut down - they offered to help - gave them my ID# and password. They wanted a lot of money - shut them off.

Tell us what happened. You called someone for help? You responded to some sort of on-screen message?

@LindaCurtis wrote:

Question - Macafee is blocking your I.P.192.168.1.1 because they feel it may be corrupted.

Where did you get that from? Some sort of on-screen message?

The WNR2000 is an ageing router with its first version released in 2008. The newest version, V5 from 2014, doesn't have the greatest specifications.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

The wifi is not up to much. It does not even support 5 GHz wifi.

Nothing wrong with it being old, just don't expect too much.

Certainly don't spend too much money trying to get it fixed. (It isn't all that clear from your message if you have a problem.) You could get a new one for less than most support services would cost.

Message 3 of 5
LindaCurtis
Aspirant

Thank you! I will buy a new router. Just to let you know they came on my screen with blaring sounds and all these pages flashing at me. Keep yelling to call Microsoft - you have a serious problem. Computer was shut down, curser wouldn't work. Called them - said they would help wanted a lot of money. Called my internet company and they got my computer working again. think they are still in here - got an Excel application in Windows 10 yesterday - I never use Excel - have never even opened the app. Thank you for your concern. Linda Curtis

Message 4 of 5

@LindaCurtis wrote:

Thank you! I will buy a new router. Just to let you know they came on my screen with blaring sounds and all these pages flashing at me. Keep yelling to call Microsoft - you have a serious problem. Computer was shut down, curser wouldn't work. Called them - said they would help wanted a lot of money.

As you said at the start, that is a sign of serious infection on your PC. It is possibly there thanks to a nasty email attachment. Your router probably won't have had much to do with it.

If you want to reduce the risk of that sort of thing, look into a new router that supports something like Armor. It needs a monthly subscription, but i is designed to deal with just the sort of thing that hit you.

What is the NETGEAR Armor Bitdefender Total Security feature? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@LindaCurtis wrote:

Called my internet company and they got my computer working again. think they are still in here ....

Sounds like a better Internet service provider than  most. They usually scream "not us guv"  and leave customers to their own devices.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7