× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weak WIfi

Skywardho
Follower

Weak WIfi

Hello!  

We have Century Link wifi.  My room mate is upstairs with her PC hooked up via ethernet to the router.

My office is almost directly below her.  Seemingly nothing to impede a signal (wood joist floor).  

My signal is seriously weak.  Drop my Zoom and Meets calls.  When a speed test done, mine is at 40 - 60 mpbs.

I just bought a NetGear AC1200 WiFi Adapter (USB).  It has brought my wifi up to about 100....but still really not what I had expected.

Any ideas??  Two different cell phones running speed test in my office both are significantly higher (250-300).

Our service speed should be at 940.  

Thanks

Karla

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Re: Weak WIfi

@Skywardho wrote:

We have Century Link wifi.  My room mate is upstairs with her PC hooked up via ethernet to the router.

My office is almost directly below her.  Seemingly nothing to impede a signal (wood joist floor).  

My signal is seriously weak.  Drop my Zoom and Meets calls.  When a speed test done, mine is at 40 - 60 mpbs.

Wifi is notoriously flaky. Have you tried changing the wifi channels that the router uses? Maybe there is some local interference on the channels you us.

But 40-60 Mbps is not that slow for Zoom.

How fast is the Internet service you pay for? Is that the 940 you mention? 940 Mbps?

@Skywardho wrote:

Two different cell phones running speed test in my office both are significantly higher (250-300).

Is that the wifi you get from this router or somewhere else?

Maybe they are connecting to the router's 5 GHz wifi rather than 2.4 GHz wifi.

Without knowing something about this router, it is anyone guess as to what speeds it will deliver.

@Skywardho wrote:

I just bought a NetGear AC1200 WiFi Adapter (USB).  It has brought my wifi up to about 100....but still really not what I had expected.

Help with that is best found here:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 3
SBBoston
Aspirant

Re: Weak WIfi

I had a similar problem.  The solution is explained here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Weak-WiFi-Signal-after-reboot/m-p/2146410#M2...

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7