× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi and hardwired computer will not work at the same time

dukeeastwood
Tutor

Wifi and hardwired computer will not work at the same time

So, I have an old WNDR3300... today I bought a 5-port gigabit Ethernet switch; the point being, I want my computer connected to my modem directly and to also have wifi. Before I only had the wifi router and connected to my computer through the router which cut my internet speed in half. Well the problem is they both won't work at the same time... no amount of rebooting or logging into the router via my phone will make them both work simultaneously. I don't know a lot about it but it seems like it should work. My phone continues to see the wifi network with no internet connection. I'm about 10 seconds away from buying a new router, but if this one would simply connect to the internet I wouldn't have to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi and hardwired computer will not work at the same time

What modem do you have? 

If you have a modem only device, most ISP's only assign 1 public ip address. Meaning only 1 device can be connected to a modem (even if you use a switch). Some isp's will allow more but you have to pay for more than 1 ip address or pay for a business connection. 

Message 2 of 7
dukeeastwood
Tutor

Interesting, this is what I was worried about; that it may be a problem like this.

the modem is the Spectrum E31U2V1 that comes from spectrum...

perhaps I could take the issue up with spectrum and see if they will simply admit it won't work.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can go modem--->router---->switch/devices

Message 4 of 7
dukeeastwood
Tutor

i talked to spectrum today... they already told me the same thing you did... without a business account/business internet the switcher will not allow the signal to be split in such a way as I was attempting... I already took the switcher I bought back to the store and got a refund. Thank you, you actually saved me resetting the modem 30 more times like I did yesterday.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Might be worth checking into a better router. 

The WNDR3300 was released in 2007 and isn't even gigabit. 

Its going to bottleneck your whole network. 

Might be time to retire it as 15 years is putting in its time. 

Message 6 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

As was stated, that router is pretty old and will just bottleneck your entire network for the speeds you pay from spectrum. I think its time for a new router.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7