× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot connect second extender ac750 to network

davenicsnr
Aspirant

cannot connect second extender ac750 to network

Tried to connect with simple wps set up but failed.

So followed previous extender connection instructions and used ethernet cable between extender & laptop.

First effort failed part way through process - network security key not recognised.

So did a factory reset and started again. Gave extender new ssid for 2.4 & 5 Ghz band and completed setup

This time all seemed to go well but when connecting extender close  to the router to test connectivity same problem - no connection with wps? The router and wifi connection is working fine.

So did another factory reset to try again but this time no access to new extender set up gene?

Figured if I cleared everything I'd done out of memory and started again I might have some success.

Is there data that needs to be cleared out elsewhere?

Can someone advise how I get back into the gene.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you didn't reset the original it should connect. But you can always try rerunning setup on it 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You're setting up a 2nd one?

Did you shut off the 1st one during setup? 

What router are you connecting it to? 

Message 2 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

Yes setting up a second extender. N300 already installed on 1st floor

No I didnt shut N300 down

Vodafone broadband wifi hub model THG3000

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

try shutting off the 1st one while doing setup on the 2nd. Then once its setup, power the first back on

Message 4 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

Shut off ist floor extender but didnt make any difference.

I did finally connect to the set up gene with ethernet cable and was able to connect laptop and other devices to the new extender but after several attempts. Authentification problems shown on mobiles.

However the extender wps led is not turning on so I assume I have no security? Have I missed something in the set up?

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

You were able to hardwire into it and go through the setup using the installation assistant? 
Is that correct? 

What authentication problems are you getting? 

Message 6 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

yes I connected an ethernet cable.

1st floor extender N300 is showing authentification error. New ac750 extender no wps but can access internet.

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

what authentication error? 

Did you try a different browser/pc for setup? 

Message 8 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

All I can tell you is authentification error shows on both extenders - it doesnt give a description of what it meanes. The router maybe doesnt like 2 extenders

Also problem seems to be linked with 2.4GHz band.

I can connect to the internet when 5GHz band is selected on ac750 - 0DF9A3_5GEXT

I used the same browser ms edge for the set up.

Is it possible by having to revisit the gene several times something could be corrupted?

Are you able to check from your end

Can everything be cleaned out and started again?

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Looks like you're not the only one with issues adding extenders to that router. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/THG3000-Router-Setup-to-TP-Link-RE305-Extend...

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you search their forums, there's a bunch of issues with adding extenders to that router.
Message 11 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

I see what you mean. Seems this router is the problem. It explains why I've been getting so many strange things occuring.

The only thing we now know is that only one extender will work on the THG3000

So now its a matter of returning things back to the way they were. N300 or AC750 on the 1st floor

Many thanks for your time & help. Pity we could'nt get a solution

Message 12 of 14
davenicsnr
Aspirant

Reconnected original extender N300 on 1st floor but could not connect to router. Is it possible I need to programme again after trying to set up ac750? 

I had not removed the N300 initialy when trying to set up ac750. Could this be the problem? Could one have effected the other.

Spent the last 2hrs on the phone with vodafone support. They advise router is ok following tests.

They are calling me back in 2hrs after I have contacted you for advice

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you didn't reset the original it should connect. But you can always try rerunning setup on it 

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7