× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: downloading a file on any device makes my home network really slow or unusable

yourworstfears
Aspirant

downloading a file on any device makes my home network really slow or unusable

my internet conection speed is 10mb. and for some reason when i download something on my ps4 or computer or even my phone, it makes the rest of my connected devices really slow or most of the time unusable. it seems that the device that is downloading the file takes all of the speed and leaves little to none speed to the rest of the devices connected to the same network. any clue to fix this issue? 

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
yourworstfears
Aspirant

Re: downloading a file on any device makes my home network really slow or unusable

Number 2 is probably it. The funny thing is that I didn't have this issue with my gateway that my provider gave me. But since the wifi was really bad, I hooked it up with my router and started to have this issue.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How big is the file you're downloading?

Perhaps, there are other devices in your network that is using Internet access in the background such as for updates or other processes that requires the Internet connection.

Message 2 of 5
yourworstfears
Aspirant

i mean anything that i download. like on my ps4 i download some games and the rest of the devices dont work meanwhile it is downloading the game. when that happens i get the offline t-rex chrome notification when i try to search something off the internet on my phone or pc. im going to uncheck Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings just to see if that makes a diference.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Several thoughts

1) WMM is required for WIFI speeds above B in your case it most likely won't make a difference and has no effect on wired connections.

2) 10MBps is hardly enough for one user.... adding a router and then downloading and expecting all the others to work is fine is wishfull thinking.

Message 4 of 5
yourworstfears
Aspirant

Number 2 is probably it. The funny thing is that I didn't have this issue with my gateway that my provider gave me. But since the wifi was really bad, I hooked it up with my router and started to have this issue.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7