× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: dropping and streaming issues

bghz
Aspirant

dropping and streaming issues

To plemans

I have a Netgear N600 wireless broadband router. A Motorola MB7420 modem. Mainly  wireless dropping and streaming issues or stalling.Desktop is not used much for streaming, so maybe not able to give you accurate answer about desktop. I'm paying for 100 mbps download and 10 upload mbps. I did a speed test on desktop from google internet speed test and speedtest.net, both were similar, 93.1 mbps for download and 10.5 mbps for upload. I didn't know if I needed to upgrade modem or add wifi extenders to help with laptops and streaming issues. Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

We'd need more info to help. 

1. What router do you have? N600 is a speed

2. If you're paying for 100mbps and getting 93mbps, it sounds like either the router or the computer testing on is only a 10/100mbps device and not gigabit. most isp's overprovision their speeds to ensure people max out their connection. So it could be a little older router

3. What fimrware is on the router?
4. What devices are having droppings/skipping issues? (model numbers)

5. Are you having issues on 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz is slow and sensitive to interference. 5ghz is much faster but doesn't broadcast as far

6. Again, n600 doesn't tell us model but it implies a quite a bit older of router. might be coming due for an upgrade. 

Message 2 of 4
bghz
Aspirant

Obviously you can tell I'm not too geeky. The router model number is  a Netgear WNDR3400v2. Is this router too old to update the firmware? The rest of questions you asked I'm still checking on. Mainly laptops stalling and streaming issues, plus just got Roku and have same issues with that. Thanks for your reply.

bghz

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You can find install guides, firmware versions, manuals, and specs here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDR3400v2.aspx

Make sure you're doing streaming on 5ghz. Its much faster and suffers from less interference than 2.4ghz. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7