× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to setup WNDR3800 router as a bridge

njfiddler
Aspirant

how to setup WNDR3800 router as a bridge

I have a FIOS router, with an RJ-45 cable/jack to the room where I want to create a new wifi network for that part of the house. I got it to work, but the crucial step seemed to be when the Netgear changed its IP to 10.0.0.1. I had full internet access....then I had to move some furniture, which meant the router briefly lost power. Now, I have the wifi network, but no internet connectivity (although the Internet light is green, and the router config page says Good for Internet). What is the reliable way to configure the NDR3800 into this sort of bridge mode?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: how to setup WNDR3800 router as a bridge

Hi @njfiddler,

If that is the case, then you can setup the router in Wireless AP mode. You can do that by accessing the router's UI and go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP > Enable Access Point Mode > Apply. This will allow the NETGEAR router to be in the same network as the FIOS router and at the same time broadcasting a separate Wi-Fi for your devices to connect to.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @njfiddler,

1. Do you prefer setting up the WNDR3800 as a separate router or as an access point?

2. Have you tried running the setup wizard again?

3. Have you tried resetting the rouer?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
njfiddler
Aspirant

I would like a separate Wi-Fi from the Fios one, that tends to be maxed out with gaming, etc.

I didn't try the wizard, do I needed to run that on a laptop connected to the netgear?

I haven't tried that, I assume you mean more than power cycle.
Message 3 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @njfiddler,

I would recommend connecting a computer to the NETGEAR router then running the setup wizard and select the option to set it up as a router and not as an access point.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 9
njfiddler
Aspirant

It's weird, but I came home from work today to find it working just fine. I didn't get around to doing anything to the router!

I will run the setup wizard if it breaks again. I don't understand your instruction to configure as "router." Isn't access point what I am looking for?

Message 5 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @njfiddler,

It is good to know that it is working now. When you mentioned you wanted to have a separate Wi-Fi, did you mean having an entirely separate network from the FIOS (devices connected to the FIOS will not be able to communicate with the devices connected to the NETGEAR) or just a separate wireless signal yet still within the same network as the FIOS (devices connected to either the FIOS or the NETGEAR will be able to communicate)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 9
njfiddler
Aspirant

I would like devices on the Netgearwifi to be able to reach devices on the FIOS wifi, in particular the printer. I just tested it, and right now that isn't working.

Message 7 of 9
njfiddler
Aspirant

P.S. However, the higher goal is to partition the traffic so when the FIOS wifi is maxed out, the Netgear can still get its share of the overall internet connection. If that means not being able to reach the printer, so be it. I hope I'm making sense.

Message 8 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @njfiddler,

If that is the case, then you can setup the router in Wireless AP mode. You can do that by accessing the router's UI and go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP > Enable Access Point Mode > Apply. This will allow the NETGEAR router to be in the same network as the FIOS router and at the same time broadcasting a separate Wi-Fi for your devices to connect to.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7