× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ps4 speed wndr3300

OldBob
Luminary

ps4 speed wndr3300

We have enjoyed PS3 for many years and just got a PS4.  When we turn it on, our internet speed goes from 30-50 mbps down to around 10 mbps or less on my laptop and phones.  it gets so slow I cannot play a video on the laptop while playing a S4 game Horizon.  It happens as soon as I turn on PS4 and not entering any game.  I have nothing running on PS4 to my knowledge.  Why is this happening when it did not on ps3.  Any suggestions?  Would getting a newer Router help?  Hate a learning curve on new router if I can help it.

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@OldBob wrote:

Thank you for your patience.  I went to that site and put in Nighthawk s6s ac3600 and it could not find that unit.  The model number is R7960P. I believe off what you typed. its X6S which is why the S6S didn't display anything 

Can you provide a direct link?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7960P

Can I indulge you for a couple more answers?  Ill do my best

Can I rename the SSID to the old one I had and use that same old password? yes. I do this all the time because I change routers a lot. 

Does this set up 3 connections so I have to choose each time which one I want to connect to or just one and the router deternimes what band to connect to each time I sign onto a network?  It has the option of smart connect which lets you use a single wifi name and the router will move devices around based on bandwidth/distance from router. If you don't like that, you can always seperate them out. I like using smart connect but many don't. 

I have tried to watch some videos and they are not clear at all.  I was hoping it was all automatic and if I wanted to make any changes or check things out I could still go to 192.168.1.1 as needed (hopefully not) as I currently do with the WNDR 3300----You can use the 192.168.1.1 to set it up. Or you can use an app on your phone. Both options are availble. I'm like you and prefer to do it over the web browser. But either works. The website shows the app setup. I think the 3rd video shows the setup using a pc and not the app. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 28

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The wndr3300 is pretty old. It was from 2007. So an upgrade certainly isn't going to hurt and might indeed show significant improvements depending on the speeds you get from your ISP. 

the ps4 might be downloading updates/games in the background. when you have an older/slower router or slow internet speeds in the first place, this isn't going to leave much available bandwidth. Plus the PS4 is going to use more bandwidth during game play. 

I'd check into a router upgrade as well as assessing what your ISP speeds are.

Message 2 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

Thank you for your reply.  I am 75 yrs old and hate new learning curves so can you maybe direct me to a better Netgear router.  I have two laptops and two iphones and PS4 in a small ranch.  I was looking at the Nighthawks with the three antenna.  One says Gaming and one does not..$130-190.  It seems I may not need the 6 antenna one for my small needs. Every sales person just wants to sell what they have alot of and to be honest..at my age they just dont really care to get technical for my needs.  My cox input is 150 Mbps and I have a new modem too.  I would like one that is easy to install and hopefully I can keep my name and password but probably have to change that.  Any input for me would be appreciated.  

Message 3 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

As additional info..I may not need now but the 6 antenna one is on sale at Costco for less  money $150!  But I read somewhere the PS4 maynot work on it? 

Message 4 of 28
plemans
Guru

its not necissarily how many antenna you have.

What area are you trying to cover? Sq ft of house

What are the interior walls of your home?

What modem is it that you have? 

These are kind of keys as if you have a larger home, mesh networks have been on sale and provide better overall coverage than a single solution. But if you're home isn't to large, a single router solution will work best. 

And we ask what your interior walls are in your home because certain materials block wifi signal like plaster lathe, concrete, brick, etc. You have to take that into account as well as home size. 

Message 5 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

Again thank you..I have a small ranch 11 sq ft but it has plaster interior walls so currentlyI have to use a netgear extender at times.   My husband plays PS4 and Netflix and I am on the laptop mostly..can be both on at the same times.  Two phones and sometimes guests that want to sign on.  He found this Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router on sale for $149.99.  Would that suit our needs?  It seems a bit much for us but the price close to the other Netgear AC 1750  that is $130.  Can you overkill your self with a router too high in features?  I ama looking for an easy to install one too as that is my job..I get frustrated.

Message 6 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

correction 1100 sq ft house

Message 7 of 28
plemans
Guru

Better to go a bit of overkill than undershoot and be poor performing. 

Either that you linked to would work. 

the plaster lathe does make it more challenging because it blocks wifi signals very well. But luckily your house isn't huge. If it was larger, I'd recommend going to a mesh network but I think you'd be fine with what you linked to.

What modem were you running from your ISP? Some are combo devices and so install is a little more challenging. 

but if its a simple modem its fairly easy. The support sites have  videos of app install and usually the manual install method. 

you go to netgear.com/support/ and type in the model number you end up buying and it has videos, written walk through's, manuals, and firmware. 

Message 8 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

Thank you for your patience.  I went to that site and put in Nighthawk s6s ac3600 and it could not find that unit.  Can you provide a direct link?   Can I indulge you for a couple more answers?  Can I rename the SSID to the old one I had and use that same old password?  Does this set up 3 connections so I have to choose each time which one I want to connect to or just one and the router deternimes what band to connect to each time I sign onto a network?  I have tried to watch some videos and they are not clear at all.  I was hoping it was all automatic and if I wanted to make any changes or check things out I could still go to 192.168.1.1 as needed (hopefully not) as I currently do with the WNDR 3300

Message 9 of 28
plemans
Guru

@OldBob wrote:

Thank you for your patience.  I went to that site and put in Nighthawk s6s ac3600 and it could not find that unit.  The model number is R7960P. I believe off what you typed. its X6S which is why the S6S didn't display anything 

Can you provide a direct link?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7960P

Can I indulge you for a couple more answers?  Ill do my best

Can I rename the SSID to the old one I had and use that same old password? yes. I do this all the time because I change routers a lot. 

Does this set up 3 connections so I have to choose each time which one I want to connect to or just one and the router deternimes what band to connect to each time I sign onto a network?  It has the option of smart connect which lets you use a single wifi name and the router will move devices around based on bandwidth/distance from router. If you don't like that, you can always seperate them out. I like using smart connect but many don't. 

I have tried to watch some videos and they are not clear at all.  I was hoping it was all automatic and if I wanted to make any changes or check things out I could still go to 192.168.1.1 as needed (hopefully not) as I currently do with the WNDR 3300----You can use the 192.168.1.1 to set it up. Or you can use an app on your phone. Both options are availble. I'm like you and prefer to do it over the web browser. But either works. The website shows the app setup. I think the 3rd video shows the setup using a pc and not the app. 

Message 10 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

It has been a pleasure..thank you for the link.  I guess I will try the Costco one as it is the best for the money and I will try the app for set up..hope all goes well..if not. I will try this form again..very satisfied. Wish me luck!

Message 11 of 28
plemans
Guru

Good luck! 

let me know if you have issues and I'll be happy to help.

It does also come with 90 days of free support from netgear. 

If you do use that, click mynetgear at the top. register and account and then the router you buy. From there you can access support. 

many google for a number but those results are spam/con sites so I usually let people know how to contact them. 

Message 12 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

Thanks for the help tip..I do Google a lot so I will look for the "mynetgear" link  but on what page is this link?  Phone/computer??  Hopefully I will not need it..I did not know there was 90 days of free support..very nice to know

Message 13 of 28
plemans
Guru

If you're on a PC, it's the very top of this page.
Message 14 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

I installed the Nighthawk X6S AC3600 router and used the app (tried to be modern) and it was AWESOME.  I renamed it to my current name/password and It took only a few minutes but the best part was it found my exising router(it was a Netgear also) and I did not have to change any device connections or reenter any passwords!!  It did put everything on the 2.4 Ghz band but I just signed onto the 5 Ghz for the laptop and my speeds went up from 10 Mbps to 150 Mbps and no lag when we play PS4.  I got an email it was registered.   I cant tell you at this point I am so pleased I stayed with Netgear and your help.  I do have a few questions but cannot find that phone number or link that you mentioned for 90 day support..can you provide that to me please?  I am still polking around and learing things and answering some of my questions myself but would recommend this forum and this nighthawk router!  THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Message 15 of 28
plemans
Guru

The router will default devices to the 2.4ghz from the start. after devices are added and start being used, it'll more them around band on bandwidth needs. 

for the mynetgear.  its the link at the top that says "mynetgear" click on that. 

or you can use this one.

https://accounts.netgear.com/login?redirectUrl=https:%2F%2Fwww.netgear.com%2Fmynetgear%2Fregistratio...

Glad to hear you got it up and running well!

Message 16 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

me again...you have been so helpfull before so i am back to you with another question.  I am helping a friend install this same router to replace a Non Netgear router.  He likes the fact that he can use the app and name the SSID and password same as his existing non Netgear router.  He is very nervous and I have offered to walk him thru what I did but I have W10 and he has W7..Another posted question here said not to use the app and so I am no longer comfortable as to how to do on the web internet and have the same features of using old name and password..Can I use the app in your opinion for a W7 system when replacing a non Netgear router with this Netgear router?

Message 17 of 28
plemans
Guru

You can set it up with the app no problem. I just recommend doing any firmware updates over something connected to the router via ethernet. it tends to cause the least amount of problems/corruption. But if its not an option, wifi/app definitely do work 

Message 18 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

so I CAN use use the app..but at the end of the process the app automatically goes into the update process..maybe just do this initial one and then go on line for updates in the future?

Message 19 of 28
plemans
Guru

yes you can use the app. 

I think you can skip the update part in the app but not 100% as I usually don't use the app. 

Message 20 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

ok ..is there a setting for the future where I can stop automatic updates on my w10 and just  go on line once in awhile for updates from my laptop

Message 21 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

in addition, really stupid question..Netgear site says

"Using a computer that is connected to your router via an Ethernet cable (wired), launch a web browser from a computer.
Note: Do not use a computer that is connected wirelessly to the router to upload the firmware. "

Question..arent all laptops a "wireless" connection? 

Message 22 of 28
plemans
Guru

No, many laptops have an ethernet connection.

And it is recommended for all firmware changes over a ethernet connection. many of the issues we see are from wireless connections causing issues when uploading the firmware. 

Message 23 of 28
OldBob
Luminary

So I should shut off automtic updates on line and when I want to check for updates I have to put a cat 5e cable from my laptop to the router?  Do I just unplug the cat 5e wire that is currently connected from my modem to the router when I do that and then reconnect it when the update is done?

Message 24 of 28
plemans
Guru

If you're ever doing updates, never shut it off or unplug it until it completes. 

If you start it over wireless, let it run/install over wireless.

If you start it over wired, let it run/install over wired. 

I usually follow this process over ethernet. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7