× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6100 wifi quit working

sirianlady
Aspirant

r6100 wifi quit working

I have an R6100 router.  It has always worked well, but now the wifi does not work.

It is plugged into a cable modem.  My computer shows that the wifi is going, but I cannot get on the internet.   The internet light is solid amber.  The wifi light is solid blue.

The internet is not working!  I can plug the ethernet cord into the modem and the wifi comes up.  When I plug the ethernet cable into the modem and router, the internet won't work.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: r6100 wifi quit working

Greetings,

Next step it to perform internet seup from the Basic Tab in the routers user interface.  Let us know if this resolves.

Also, have you or the ISP changed out the modem recently?  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies

@sirianlady wrote:

The internet light is solid amber. 

That is a sign that the router is not getting an internet connection from the modem.

What is that modem?

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 2 of 8
sirianlady
Aspirant

@michaelkenward...Thanks for your suggestions!  I did as you suggested (and have done it several times before)...still no change.  The internet light stays amber.  The wifi light is blue.

My computer sees the wifi, but will not connect to the internet, so...no inernet connection.

The router is R6100

The modem is E31N2V1  from Spectrum / Charter..

If I plug the modem directly into my computer, I get internet, just not thru the router.

Any other suggestions? 

Message 3 of 8

Greetings,

Next step it to perform internet seup from the Basic Tab in the routers user interface.  Let us know if this resolves.

Also, have you or the ISP changed out the modem recently?  

Message 4 of 8
sirianlady
Aspirant

Thanks!  The problem started with my previous modem, but I was able to get wifi working again.  Spectrum sent me a new modem, now the wifi will not connect.

I did the internet setup last night and it didn't help.  I will try it again.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 8

@sirianlady wrote:

The modem is E31N2V1  from Spectrum / Charter..

I can't find a manual for that. As Spectrum / Charter is an ISP, it will buy in modems.

Does the modem have a row of LAN ports on the back? I ask because this will help us to work out if it is a combined router/modem. If it does, then you need to set that up first.

You said earlier that "I can plug the ethernet cord into the modem and the wifi comes up". Comes up from what? If the modem also churns out wifi, then that is another sign that it may be a router.

You say that this is a new modem. If so you have to set up your network from scratch. This is really what @shadowsports is suggesting.

There is a manual for the R6100 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R6100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

At this stage the blue wifi light is a red herring. It just shows that the wifi is working, but it will get you nowhere until you can persuade the internet LED to change colour. It will do that when you have an internet connection.

Message 6 of 8
sirianlady
Aspirant

I did the internet setup again and now my wifi is back online.

I guess I missed something the first time I ran it.

Thanks for your help, everyone!  I am very grateful!

Message 7 of 8

@sirianlady

@michaelkenward and I appreciate your feedback.  If you have anymore issues let us know.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7