× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

reestablish R6050 as AP

reestablish R6050 as AP

R7000 as router.  R6050 as AP.  R6050 is cabled to the R7000 with a run of ~60-70 ft.  This setup has worked perfectly for years.

Recently, the R6050 seems to have lost all contact to the R7000.  Devices near it no longer connect.  The 50ghz and guest network no longer appear on list of networks when near the R6050.

I've reset the R6050 and want to set it up, again, as an AP. Found a web page directing me to routerlogin.net and login.  went there.  There is no login option.  Another web page instructs me to connect the R6050 to the R7000, login, and get a popup that will babysit me.  I get no popup.

How do I reconnect the R6050 as AP?

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

Re: reestablish R6050 as AP

Fixed it.  I was changing to AP and then changing IP from 192 . . .  to 10 . . .

Reversed that.  Changed IP, then changed to AP.  Seems to work perfectly.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies

@required_alias wrote:

I've reset the R6050 and want to set it up, again, as an AP.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 13

Thanks.  I've been there a number of times.  Problem is there is no login.  If you see a login on that link, let me know where it is.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you factory reset the 6050 with out it being connected to anything accept for one wired PC connected in back, you should be able to access the routers web page and setup wizard at 192.168.1.1 after you press the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Once it's ready, try that address in any browser. 

Message 4 of 13

OK, I'm in . . . almost.  I'm at the login page.  The userid/password on the back of the router doesn't work.  The userid/password I had before reset doesn't work.

Any idea how to log in?

Once logged in, I need to set the R6050 as AP and change the IP to 10.0.0.1 to match the R7000.  Any link to explain how to do that?

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you walk thru the setup wizard? 

Default maybe admin and password for the log in. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and saved PW profiles in the browser as well. 

Was linked on how to setup a router in AP mode in this thread...

Message 6 of 13

@required_alias wrote:

The userid/password on the back of the router doesn't work. 

That is the "admin" and "password" pairing?

What do you mean by "doesn't work". That could mean many things.

How are you logging on? A browser?

What errors do you see?

To access the R6050 to changes the mode, disconnect the R6050 from everything else. Connect it to a PC that has no other connections. (You may have to reboot the PC.)

Once logged in, I need to set the R6050 as AP and change the IP to 10.0.0.1 to match the R7000.

Why do you want to do that?

Did you follow the instructions in the link I provided?

In normal circumstances you do not set the IP address an Access Point. That is in the hands of the router.

After the R6050 is in AP mode, turn it off and disconnect it from the PC.

Plug the PC back into the router. Plug the R6050 into the router, then restart the AP. During startup the router will allocate an IP address to the R6050.

If you have problems, reboot the whole network in the right order:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 7 of 13

YOU DA MAN!!!!!

Worked perfectly.  Now set up as AP and attached to my router.

One last problem.  This AP is in a room with our TV and attached Chromecast as well as a laptop.  My router has networks identified as Netgear24 and Netgear50.  All 3 devices find and connect to Netgearxx, but without internet service.  The R6050 has networks identified as R6050-24 and R6050-50 (I made those up).  I can connect to those and reach the net.

How do I get the R6050 to use the networks attached to the R7000 router?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

SSID names will need to be different.

The 6050 is on the same network as your host router. Just the SSID names will be different. 

Depending on which wifi source you connect too, either source should have internet access.

You'll need to troubleshoot the host router problems if needed. 

Message 9 of 13

@required_alias wrote:

My router has networks identified as Netgear24 and Netgear50.  All 3 devices find and connect to Netgearxx, but without internet service. 

Not sure that I follow that. What are these "three devices"?

Netgear24 and Netgear50 are probably the default SSIDs for the main router. You can change them to whatever you like using the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

If your wifi clients don't connect to the R7000, that has nothing to do with AP mode on the R6050 .

The R6050 has networks identified as R6050-24 and R6050-50 (I made those up).  I can connect to those and reach the net.

How do I get the R6050 to use the networks attached to the R7000 router?

In AP mode, the R6050 won't connect to the wifi networks on the R7000 router, That's the point of AP mode.

If you want to play with the SSIDs and wifi setting on the AP, you need to track down its IP address. It should up in the "Attached devices" list in the R7000.

You can then aim a browser at that IP address to get into the GUI.

Message 10 of 13

Very good.  I suspect I can change network names on the R6050?

Message 11 of 13

@required_alias wrote:

I suspect I can change network names on the R6050?

Yes.

Message 12 of 13

Fixed it.  I was changing to AP and then changing IP from 192 . . .  to 10 . . .

Reversed that.  Changed IP, then changed to AP.  Seems to work perfectly.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7