× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

router question from a noob

SanahGrat
Follower

router question from a noob

I live and work in China. The internet here has many restrictions. I currently have 2 netgear routers, one is connected to the other via an ethernet cable. This way I can have 2 wifi signals in my house. On the second router, I flashed DD WRT and am running Astril VPN.

My old internet speed was 100 MB and today I just upgraded to 1,000 MB.

I already ordered an Asus RT AX88U wifi 6 router (64 bit Quad Core @ 1.8 Ghz, RAM 1024 MB, and 256 Flash). My older router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. (600 +1300 mbps, AC1900, Processor 1GHZ, 256 MB Ram and 128 MB Flash).

Question 1 - Do I need 2 wifi 6 (newer more power routers) in order to benefit from the 1 GIG net speed?

Question 2- Current setup Asus RT AX88U and Netgear R7000 routers. Whiche one should I run the Chinese net as the main one and which one should I use as the VPN router? I plan to flash the Asus with Merlin.

Question 3- Since the Netgear is an older model... Will it slow down the internet speed of the Asus should I choose to have the Asus be the VPN router bc its faster?

Please... any helpful comments would be apprecate. Excuse the long post.

Thank You.

Message 1 of 2

Re: router question from a noob

@SanahGrat wrote:

I live and work in China. The internet here has many restrictions. I currently have 2 netgear routers, one is connected to the other via an ethernet cable.

Does that mean that the second router is in wireless access point mode? (It should be.)

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@SanahGrat wrote:

My older router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. (600 +1300 mbps, AC1900, Processor 1GHZ, 256 MB Ram and 128 MB Flash).

Question 1 - Do I need 2 wifi 6 (newer more power routers) in order to benefit from the 1 GIG net speed?

Don't confuse advertised wifi speeds with what you will get in the real world. Your routers can push out wifi at a gazillion miles an hour, but if your wifi clients, the devices that use the wifi, don't have the technology they will travel at walking pace.

You are talking about wifi speeds here?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

@SanahGrat wrote:

Question 2- Current setup Asus RT AX88U and Netgear R7000 routers. Whiche one should I run the Chinese net as the main one and which one should I use as the VPN router? I plan to flash the Asus with Merlin.

Not really a question for Netgear, It does not support third party firmware which is best doscussed with the people who provide it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7