× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow R6400v2 ethernet speed

BentNose
Tutor

slow R6400v2 ethernet speed

ISP tech verified 350Mbps output from NETGEAR CM600 cable modem via ethernet connected Windows laptop.

When NETGEAR AC1750 R6400V2 router is connected to modem and same laptop is connected to router ethernet port, output speed to same laptop drops to 149 Mbps. Modem, router, and laptop have been rebooted. Router was updated to latest firmware. Router was rebooted. Repeated speed test. No difference. Router was reset to factory defaults. Speed retested. No difference. Saved router settings were restored. Speed retested. No difference.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: slow R6400v2 ethernet speed

when you tested speeds after the reset, did you have everything in the default configuration? 

Message 2 of 12
BentNose
Tutor

I performed a hard reset on the router by pressing and holding the reset button. I don't know what the default settings are suppose to be.

If you wish to point me to a source that identifies what the default setting is for every setting, I can reset again and confirm.

Message 3 of 12

@BentNose wrote:

I performed a hard reset on the router by pressing and holding the reset button. I don't know what the default settings are suppose to be.

After a reset, your router has the default settings.

The key settings then are whatever it takes to connect to your internet service. That information comes from your ISP.

After that you just set things up to fit in with your preferences for things like wifi passwords and SSIDs.

The manual explains where to find those.

Did you confirm that the ethernet cables between modem, router and laptop are all good?

Message 4 of 12
BentNose
Tutor

This morning I rested. 

Using both cat5e cables used to connect the modem to the router and the laptop to the router, I connected directly to the modem and got slower speeds today (275Mbps) than Saturday (350). Then I tested with the laptop connected via both cables to a router ethernet port.

Both tests were significantly slower (175 max) than via the modem. All other router ethernet ports were disconnected and WiFi disabled. I did not repeat the router reset this morning, just verifying that different cables did not make a difference, per your request.

Message 5 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BentNose,

I understand that you are having issues with your internet speeds on your R6400v2. 

Which firmware do you currently have installed on your R6400v2?

Look forward to hearing your response!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
BentNose
Tutor

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.122_10.0.95

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

have you tried downgrading the firmware a version or 2? 
Any time you downgrade, reset afterwards to prevent old settings from being the issue. 

I'd also recommend doing it over a hardwired connection. 

Message 8 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BentNose,

The current firmware for the R6400v2 is R6400v2 Firmware Version 1.0.4.126. 

Please visit the link below to manually update your R6400v2:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064642/R6400v2-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-126

Please let me know if this helps!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 9 of 12
BentNose
Tutor

I will attempt to install this newer firmware after 6pm when those working from home no longer need Internet access for work purposes.

Why does my router tell me that there are no newer firmware versions available for my router?

Message 10 of 12

@BentNose wrote:

Why does my router tell me that there are no newer firmware versions available for my router?

That happens all the time. It is why some of us check for new firmware by visiting the support pages for our devices.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Message 11 of 12
BentNose
Tutor

Firmware V1.0.4.126_10.0.102 was installed and factory defaults re-enabled.

Speed while cable connected to modem= 230

Speed while cable connected to router= 133-178.

My ISP is supposed to provide 300Mbps. I was getting 350Mbps out of the modem last Saturday morning. Even though the speed from the modem is slower than on Saturday, there is still a significant variance between modem and router output speeds.

I really don't know what else to do, and maybe you don't either. I appreciate the assistance you have volunteered.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7