× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wnr2000v5 wont ask for password on passworded connection

as3
Aspirant
Aspirant

wnr2000v5 wont ask for password on passworded connection

I have set up a wifi connection with a passord,in netgear genie. I am using to highest security. I find the connection, and connect to it, but the system never asks for my password

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Chrome and IE are web browsers, they are not what makes the connection to your wireless network, so deleting those passwords was not necessary. You manage wireless networks using the operating system or a management tool that comes with the wireless adaptor. This is what you would use to scan for wireless networks, and this is where you would remove any remembered ‘passphrase’ or ‘key’, often the option is to ‘forget’ a network.

The fact that your Roku is asking for a security key (sometimes referred to as the passphrase or password) indicates that your wireless network is secure.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The passphrase may have been stored on that computer, do other devices trying to connect see the expected request for the network passphrase? In a wireless scan does your SSID appear as a protected network?

Message 2 of 5
as3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ii went into chrome & ie and deleted all stored passwords.  There was no change.  The only other device that is on the wireless is my new roku. it is hard wired,, but shows on the wireless as a connectio. When I try to connect, it asks me for the "nw security key".  Is this the password?   I am using WPA2-PSK.  Is this  the highest security, that requires a password?  What is a wireless scan, and how do I do it?   What is SSIS?

Message 3 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Chrome and IE are web browsers, they are not what makes the connection to your wireless network, so deleting those passwords was not necessary. You manage wireless networks using the operating system or a management tool that comes with the wireless adaptor. This is what you would use to scan for wireless networks, and this is where you would remove any remembered ‘passphrase’ or ‘key’, often the option is to ‘forget’ a network.

The fact that your Roku is asking for a security key (sometimes referred to as the passphrase or password) indicates that your wireless network is secure.

Message 4 of 5
as3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I installed a security camera today, and it asked for a password, so I guess it is working.

Case closed. Thank you much

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7