× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN Configuration not working

RGoemie
Follower

Advanced 802.1Q VLAN Configuration not working

I tried to setup a 802.1Q trunk between the netgear switch and an Intel NUC running as a VMWare ESXi server.

On the switch, i configured 2 VLAN IDs, 1 and 10.

The trunk port on the switch is member of both VLAN IDs of which both of them are set as Tagged for the port which acts as a trunk.

Port PVID is set to 1 on the trunk port.

When applying above configuration, i lose network connectivity with the ESXi mgmt interface, using VLAN1.

VLAN10 doesn't work either.

The issue is not with my Intel NUC/ESXi server as it works fine when i use a Cisco switch and configure a trunk port between the Cisco switch and the intel NUC/ESXi server.

It seems 802.1Q is not correctly working or i miss something in my 802.1Q switch configuration.

Appreciate any help.

Thx a lot.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Advanced 802.1Q VLAN Configuration not working

@RGoemie,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try our suggestion?  if yes, what is the result?  

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RGoemie,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems that your concern is similar to this link I found online.  Kindly try to set the port of the GS116Ev2 switch where the Intel NUC is connected as untagged port.  

Let us know the result. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI RGomie,

Totally agree with DaneA the issue is that ESXi uses VLAN 1 as a Native VLAN so by default untagged.

Just wanted to add to DaneA that in your case you should configure the VLAN 1 as Untagged (double click on the port) and the other VLANs as tagged.

Hope it helps

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RGoemie,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try our suggestion?  if yes, what is the result?  

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements