× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto-DoS

peos42
Aspirant

Auto-DoS

Hi

Is the Auto-DoS function a joke????

If this is enabled it is enough for an attacker do just send one malformed packet and the Negear according to the docs shuts down the port permanently until manually enabled..

--snip--

When an attack is detected, a warning message is logged to the buffered log and is sent to the syslog server. At the same time, the port is shut down and can be enabled only manually by the admin user.

--snip--

No option to block it and keep the port enabled or at least auto open it again? Netgear will with this function make it easier to perform a DoS attack... 

What have I missed?

/Peo

Model: S3300-28X-PoE+ (GS728TXP)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches with PoE+
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
peos42
Aspirant

Re: Auto-DoS

I understand how it works now. Not ideal for us. But you sorted it out for me. For that I thank you very much.

/Peo

View solution in original post

Model: S3300-28X-PoE+ (GS728TXP)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches with PoE+
Message 7 of 7

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi peos42,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

The purpose of the Auto-DoS is to prevent it from the attack and not to block. Unless, you manually create a MAC-ACL for you to block it. It doesn't have a feature that it will auto-open again. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
peos42
Aspirant

I am not 100% with you here.. I am maybe stupid 🙂

According to the docs the port closes permanently when is sees an attack. Which means any person can shut down my port by being bad with a few packets against the switch port. This way it is easy do DoS me (i.e make my service unusable as my switch port is closed)... 

Please tell me what I have missed or missunderstood here.

/Peo

Message 3 of 7
peos42
Aspirant

And thanks for the welome @JohnC_V

/Peo

Message 4 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@peos42,

What I mean to say is, DoS feature will disable the port if it received an attack and prevent future attacks. If it has an auto-enabled feature, then it will just turn on and off. Once the port has been disabled, you need to look and check the device that is causing the issue and manually enable it once it's done. Sorry for the confusion. But we cannot block the device unless you use MAC-ACL. 

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@peos42,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything is ok now or you still need further assistance.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
peos42
Aspirant

I understand how it works now. Not ideal for us. But you sorted it out for me. For that I thank you very much.

/Peo

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements