× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable test for SFP+ optical modules

Vohid
Aspirant

Cable test for SFP+ optical modules

Hi All,

We have two XS708e installed in our collocation provider rack. We have installed into 8th port of the switches AXM761 SFP+ modules and connected them to storage with Cable Matters LC-LC cable. Actually we are not able to use the storage and I think the problem is in the cable or the switch.

We tried to check the cable connectivity with Prosafe utility. It is showing that there is no cable on that port. But the the port shown itself in UP state.

The question is:

Is Prosafe utility's cable test actually intended to be used with SFP+ modules and optical cables?

Here are the screenshots.

photo_2016-12-20_12-16-24.jpg

photo_2016-12-20_12-16-34.jpg

photo_2016-12-20_12-16-39.jpg

photo_2016-12-20_12-16-43.jpg

Model: XS708E|ProSAFE Plus 10G 8-port Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cable test for SFP+ optical modules

Hi Vohid,

I believe the Cable Tester on the ProSAFE Plus Utility is used for ethernet cables not for SFP+ cables.  

Refer on the image below.  Kindly try to connect the SFP+ module on the port on the XS708E where the arrow is pointed to then check if there is a connection between your two XS708E.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Vohid,

I believe the Cable Tester on the ProSAFE Plus Utility is used for ethernet cables not for SFP+ cables.  

Refer on the image below.  Kindly try to connect the SFP+ module on the port on the XS708E where the arrow is pointed to then check if there is a connection between your two XS708E.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Vohid
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for the answer. We have found out that optical cables are in good state by your method. Yes cable test in ProSAFE Plus Utility is used only for ethernet cables.

Best Regards,

Vohid Azimov

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Vohid,

You're welcome! 🙂  I'm glad that the optical cables are working.

Feel to post your future concerns here in the community.  Happy Holidays! 🙂

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements